Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Plz Share Your Hunting Plans/Stories.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Plz Share Your Hunting Plans/Stories.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>It was still about 35 minutes before sun rise, dropped backpack off brougth up my 7mm STW focused scope and scanned for lumps, brown bushes nice going <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please get some binoculars.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:03 PM
daveosok

Had some deep in back pack, gun was faster than sifting through backpack.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Well Guys, thank you and by all means keeping em coming. Great job!

I think it would be a good idea to have a separate forum just for "Hunting Stories", just a thought.

Nodak

Member #92
Old 11-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Nice huntin' guys! Boy QH, if I decide to go on down to Colorado, expect some company. Hey, Whisper, nice going. Sometimes it takes a lot of strength to not take the shot. Fogot to mention that i was in 3 maybe 4 miles on foot. Thank goodness for the snow. It made draggin the deer out much easier! Now for some rest, I am sore all over!
Old 11-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Back from Colorado this AM and one 1800 yd kill.

As usual, our group did very well hunting elk and mule deer in Colorado.
Carol and I returned at 2AM today after driving 1000 miles on Sunday.

We both had the flu during the hunt and felt terrible. I was the only one between us that had a Buck tag. Neither she or I wanted to license up for an elk the way we felt.

I honestly felt so bad that I only went on this hunt to help Ray Romain get a longrange deer or elk in which he had never had the pleasure to do so in the past. We almost cancelled our plans to go at the last moment.

I also wanted to kill something at a great distance with the Tomahawk but, that never materilized. Did pick up a very large buck in the bigeyes on the second day (at least 30 to 32" spread and had 6 points on a side) that never gave me the chance to fire because he was moving down the far mountain at a fast pace and NEVER stopped. I hunted hard for him everyday but never caught a glance of this fine buck, the rest of the season. I could have killed smaller ones but, only wanted the trophy I saw the second day.

I did pick up a huge 4X4 buck for Ray and set my glasses and tripod close to his rifle where I could click the elevation and windage for him so he didn't have to take his eye out of the scope.

Had another fellow behind us to call the shots also in case I didn't pick up the vapor trails.
Ray wanted a one mile buck or elk kill and this buck was 1800 yards away and just standing there. I ranged the buck 3 times with the Russian laser and the range was confirmed each time.
I set 10 extra clicks of elevation more then what Rays drop chart called for and had him take 3 spotter shots because of the distance. Set the windage as per the shots going in over the buck and then took the 10 extra clicks off and told Ray to kill his buck. He fired and the bullet went straight and true to the shoulder and the buck dropped. He tried to get up and fell down hard and never moved. The buck was dead within a minute after he got hit.

Ray and his son Tim started to the buck at around 1PM and didn't get out of the woods until after 8:30PM. We had to turn on the truck head lights to guide him back.
He said the trip to Colorado was well worth that one kill.

This was one time I wish we would have set up a video.
We had two witnesses from Ohio that stopped by during our quest and kill of this buck who said "the boys at the bar back home, won't believe this one".

The 338 250 gr Match king coming out of Rays 338/375 IMP (small mag case compared to the 378 or 416 case) with a 36" barrel penitrated the right shoulder and never exited the left shoulder. The bullet stayed inside. That bullet had only 850 FP of energy left at the 1800 yd range and still killed very well.

I did set up the Tomahawk and checked the trajectory to our 1650 yard sight-in rock we have used for that purpose the last 13 years.
It only took 145 elevation clicks from a 100 yd zero for the 240 gr MK to make the trip to the rock. That folks, is flat shooting for a 240 gr 30 caliber bullet.

In some way or another I did manage to help get in on the kills of 3 elk (1 bull and two cows) and 4 Mule deer Buck. The ranges of the kills were from 200 yds to 1800 yds.
The elk were only 700 and 800 yards

I was glad to get back and am still sick from the flu and strept throat.

The high light of the trip was the 1800 yard kill which was the first one Ray has made over 500 yards.

DC will be looking for that big Boy he saw the second day, next year. I didn't want ANY other buck after I saw that one.

Next to West Virginia (if I get over the flu) and then LR hunting out of Driftwood, PA

Later
DC
Old 11-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Darryl,I wanna go BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Wow, great stories. You could do a separate listing for each story. All were great storiesl, but Wyo - I think you're destined for literary greatness. You write a real good story.

Darryl, now I know how you are making those long shots; the Russian laser. Hey are you still supersonic with the Tomahawk at those ranges?