Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Please help me pick the right Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Please help me pick the right Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN1stcav View Post
Thanks tank, I actually thought i had put that one too. I also just found this and looks pretty good what do you think?

Howa Varminter Supreme & Thumbhole Varminter Supreme

What I want is something for the best precision I can get without going into the big money of a custom rifle.

right now Im feeling Savage.

First, I really like Howa actions. They are typical of a Mauser copy action, but very good quality and smooth. I have shot one for several years before I got into my Savages. It had some trigger work done to it and glass bedded. I built a load for that rifle shooting 120grn SGK BTHP, that would cut a single hole all day long if I did my part.

Second, is the "BUT". Looking at their barreled actions, it looks like you can only get it in a 1:10 twist barrel. I would call Legacy Sports to see if their varminter comes in a 1:9. If it does not, then you are limited to 100grn bullet or less.

Again with the Howa, you would have to get it accurized like the Ruger getting the trigger work done. I know you wouldn't be disappointed with that rifle either if you can get it in the twist you are looking for.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Re: Please help me pick the right Caliber

I think a .223 is a good place to start. I bought one to practice grouping and trigger control. I use it for rabbit hunting a lot and use my AR for coyotes with the same caliber.

Start with that and then get a .308 or something for a little more power but good practice.

Thanks for your service.