Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Please help me pick the right Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Please help me pick the right Caliber

Depends on the length of bullet you want to shoot. (not necessarily weight) If you are going to shoot long 105 grainers, you probably want a 9 twist. If you were going to shoot the really light (short) bullets you might go as slow as a 12. A 10 is a good all around twist. That's why most manufacturers use it. It takes more twist to stabilize a longer bullet(accuracy). Having said all that, it is best to not overtwist as it accentuates flaws in the bullet (inaccuracy). In other words, use the slowest twist that will stabilize the longest bullet that you are going to shoot. There are tables that will help you decide or better yet, just call a gunsmith or barrel maker. Most are more than willing to help.....Rich
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM

well, I plan to use the 243 I get for deer, coyote, and praire dog hunts...So what do you suggest?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN1stcav View Post
well, I plan to use the 243 I get for deer, coyote, and praire dog hunts...So what do you suggest?

For shots between 20yds to 500yds I would want to use a bullet in the weight range of 80 to 100 grains. A 1:10 twist will be sufficient for these bullets. If you want to go 300 yards to 1000 yards regularly, you are going to need a heavier bullet in the 105 to 115 grain class. This will require a minimum of 1:9 and for the 115grn class bullet you will need to have a 1:7.5 to 1:8 twist. These should be the ones to use if you plan on going out to 600+ regularly to keep it on target. IMHO

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

It would be easiest to just get a 1-8" twist and then try the heavies and see which one shoots best.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Ruger M77® Hawkeye®*Bolt Action*Rifle (HM77VLEH) Overview

Ruger M77® Mark II*Bolt Action*Rifle (KM77VT MKII) Overview

Savage Arms Predator Hunter

Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FCSAK

Which one of these would you get in 243? Price not a factor, only performance.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN1stcav View Post

You forgot this one on your list. Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile I have one of these that started as a .308 and now is a 300WSM and you will not be disappointed. The 1:9.25 will handle the 105's and 107's. Any of the savages would be my pick. If you are carrying in the woods, then I would consider either of the savages you have chosen, but if you are prairie dog hunting and ghog hunting, I would consider the mod 12 for the 26" barrel. Adds velocity and they are real shooters.

I have shot some Rugers, but just not really big on them. They do shot pretty good though. I really like the laminated one you picked. Just bare in mind with the Ruger you will have to get trigger work done to make the trigger lighter.

Savage all the way for me.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks tank, I actually thought i had put that one too. I also just found this and looks pretty good what do you think?

Howa Varminter Supreme & Thumbhole Varminter Supreme

What I want is something for the best precision I can get without going into the big money of a custom rifle.

right now Im feeling Savage.