Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Please help me pick the right Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Please help me pick the right Caliber

I just joined LRH and I am looking for some help. I am in the Army and when I get back of course plan to make a new rifle purchase. I am looking to get into some prairie dog hunting, but also want a caliber I can still use for Squirrel and other small game and all the way up to coyotes and fox, etc. I have read about all kinds of calibers and different manufactures of rifles. At this point I have read so much my head is spinning. I want a flat shooting varmit rifle. So I turn to all of you with your wealth of knowledge to help me out. Here is what I need. I am looking for the best caliber and rifle to accommodate these needs in order according about to the importance to me;
-Accuracy at long range (taking into account all undesirable factors)
-Function
-Durability
-availability of ammo
-Cost
-Fun Factor

If yall could help me pick the best caliber for this I would appreciate it, and if you have a rifle suggestion let me hear it. Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Please help me pick the right Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN1stcav View Post
I just joined LRH and I am looking for some help. I am in the Army and when I get back of course plan to make a new rifle purchase. I am looking to get into some prairie dog hunting, but also want a caliber I can still use for Squirrel and other small game and all the way up to coyotes and fox, etc. I have read about all kinds of calibers and different manufactures of rifles. At this point I have read so much my head is spinning. I want a flat shooting varmit rifle. So I turn to all of you with your wealth of knowledge to help me out. Here is what I need. I am looking for the best caliber and rifle to accommodate these needs in order according about to the importance to me;
-Accuracy at long range (taking into account all undesirable factors)
-Function
-Durability
-availability of ammo
-Cost
-Fun Factor

If yall could help me pick the best caliber for this I would appreciate it, and if you have a rifle suggestion let me hear it. Thanks
243, 260, 708, 308 based on the info supplied. 243 and 308 will offer the most readily available ammo.

BTW, welcome.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I immediately thought about the .243win when I read your post, but it is a bit overkill for the squirrels etc.

How about a good rimfire for "the fun factor", like a 22mag or 17hmr. That would handle all the small stuff and closer range fox etc. Ammo is cheap. Then a more purpose oriented longer range rifle. Depending on the number of rounds you want to fire, a 204ruger would be awesome for a barrel burner. .243win would be great and would double as a light deer rifle.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Hello and welcome! I'm sure you are very familiar with the 223 remington aka 5.56 nato. It seems like a good fit. Lots of possiblities with this round. Great in bolt guns or in a AR platform (fun factor) The one problem you might have is finding a cartridge that is a good squirrel gun AND a good long range gun. the 233 can be shot well out to 500 yrds+. even farther if you handload. Just my thought.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

It's not very flashy but a .223 would do everything you want. A little light for dedicated LR coyote but otherwise fits the bill nicely.

I'm becoming more of a quality over quanity kinda guy so a fast twist 22-250 or 243 would suit me fine for what you want but your costs will go up and barrel life will come down. Especially if you focus on p-dogs.

I think the amount of rounds you plan on shooting will play a big part in your decision. I'd stay on the milder side if your thinking of high volume p-dog shooting. If you're thinking more along the lines of low volume precision shooting, then a more intense round would be a better choice.

Best of luck in your choice!

Gene
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

How far you want to kill them squirrels?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the site. Thank you for defending our freedom. Now the question at hand. I like the .243.