Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Please help before my brain explodes!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Please help before my brain explodes!!!!

Too funny...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

We are all FFP. We don't dial windage so accurate wind holds at varying powers can only be done with FFP. Nothing like setting up on a target or animal, loosing it under recoil so you power down, find it and forget to go to max power. This next shot will be in the wind. Spend the extra couple of bucks had don't have it ruin the hunt of a lifetime or that one target your buddy says you cant hit twice.

I only run the 10c's anymore, although the 15's are looking pretty good and maybe around the corner for me.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Bingo! If you're going to shoot at 400 yards and farther, you should plan on purchasing a good laser range finder, no matter which scope you settle on. If you don't have the range down pat, it won't matter which version or model scope you purchase. Buy a Leica 1200 range finder if you're content with limiting your shots to ~ 800 yds. Buy a Leica 1600 if you want to range and take shots out to ~ 1250 yds.
+1 Some of the best advice you will receive, the only thing I would add is practice, practice , then practice some more.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azprc View Post
We are all FFP. We don't dial windage so accurate wind holds at varying powers can only be done with FFP. Nothing like setting up on a target or animal, loosing it under recoil so you power down, find it and forget to go to max power. This next shot will be in the wind. Spend the extra couple of bucks had don't have it ruin the hunt of a lifetime or that one target your buddy says you cant hit twice.

I only run the 10c's anymore, although the 15's are looking pretty good and maybe around the corner for me.
On the fly windage holds can be done with any scope, any reticule, any power with either FFP or SFP if you simply know the size of the target's body from shoulder to hip or nose to tail; or approximate width side to side if the target is facing directly at or away from you.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhead View Post
some hefty prices on those rangefinders.. (at least to me) what would be the disadvantages of buying a cheaper rangefinder? such as the bushnell 1,000 or 1,200 in the $250-$350 range
I've used the Bushnell rangefinders and other lower end ones and this is what happens in my experience. You range, you shoot, you adjust your velocity or BC to match your targets, you then go and range an animal and shoot low or high and wonder what the heck happened!! Well the beam on the lesser range finders will catch anything and it's easy to base your whole ballistic drop data on a bogus range so when you get a real range your SOL. Getting a SOLID range needs to be way higher on the priority list than it is for a lot of guys, you'll find you have a more harmonious out come with a reliable range!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yeah, I am just being a Smart azz. I had a 3000 once. reminded me of looking through milk.

Jeff
It's not terrible by anymeans, I looked through better but it good enough to match the capability of the unit. certainly no more than that.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe