Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of the "Phantom Fallow" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Cont..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Pics of the \"Phantom Fallow\" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Co

APB,

I use Boyds stocks as they are reasonably priced and are a good inlet for the receiver. Most barrel channels need adjusting anyway so I don't care about this. I have never had a problem with one of their stocks cracking on a laminate line either.

To be honest, any stock I use if going to get totally worked over anyway before it ships out the door so I use the Boyds. They are finished very nicely and have performed extremely well for me.

I believe Richards Microfit has several thumbhole models but they need to be finished by the smith or owner. I believe Accurate Innovations also has a Thumbhole but not 100% sure.

As I said, I use Boyds and have never had a problem or reason to look anywhere else for a Laminated thumbhole.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
daveosok

Hey Kirby

Nice buck. I think the rack is interesting and unique which in my book counts as a trophy.

Have you ever tried Elk Ridge stocks?
I built a 300 Tomahawk on one of them and maybe they arent as well know as others. I thought I'd post the link here so others could have a look see.
Elk Ridge Gun Stocks
Old 04-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Daveosok,

I have a big BR stock from elk ridge coming in soon to build a heavy V-Block 338 Kahn on. Will be able to see what kind of stock they are. I am sure they are good, I just really prefer a finished stock as I don't have to feel bad for charging my customers labor to finish a stock which can be very time consuming.

Will let you know what I think.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
daveosok

Yeah I understand that.
The one I got from them was inletted. It was however cut with a bull barrel channel so very little was needed in the way of finishing.
We had an adjustable cheek pad installed by Alex Sitman through Elk Ridge. It was a supurb job and works flawlessly.
I sanded it using numerous grits and ending up with 2500 grit. I then coated it with Polyuerethane air craft paint. This isnt your typical paint as it is a two part mixture when hardened nothing permeates it except phoenolic stripper.
This clear coat is what we use to clear stuff on air craft such as the squadron patches, we cleared them on f-16 air craft at this stuff holds up in excess of mach 1.5. MEK doesnt touch the stuff once its cured. I did some tests and so far none of the cleaners used (except for the gm engine top cleaner which I did not test) did not destroy the clear coat.
I put like 8 coats and makes the laminated stock look like its ten feet deep, really brought out the colors too. He opted for the eletric blue.
Well let me know how the stock turns out.
I am thinking of getting one for my big gun.
Dave
Old 04-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Re: Pics of the \"Phantom Fallow\" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Cont..

Kirby,

That is one mean looking sucker!! What country is it native to? Oh by the way, the deer is pretty nice too!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]Congrats!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lead Lobber,

The ugly critter is native to Montana [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]!!, the deer I believe is from Northern Europe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2005, 04:45 PM

Nice deer! I always respected my old trophies more than my largest since age is a real indicator of how crafty a particular animal is.

What made you go to Colorado for this animal? I am planning on doing axis and fallow deer hunts next year.