Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of the "Phantom Fallow" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Cont..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Pics of the \"Phantom Fallow\" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Cont..

TO all,

Here are some pics of this spooky old boy. He is not the highest scoring buck out there simply because he does not sport enough tines to score high, still he is a great buck in my book and I could not be happier with the results except I wish I would have had my 270 Allen Mag in my hands when I spotted him at near 900 yards so I could have taken a +1/2 mile shot.

Still the 257 Allen Mag worked well but at 500 yards this was really a chip shot for the 156 gr Wildcat ULD.

The bullet performed extremely well for a conventional cup jacketed bullet. The first shot was a severe quartering on shot that impacted the high left shoulder, penetrated through 6" of spine and came to rest under the hide right on the beginning of the right ham. The bullet had lost its core but still acheived well over 24" of penetration. I have often found the extremely hard and angled shape of the spine can be hard on bullet. The extreme sectional density of the 156 gr ULD RBBT proved its worth here.

The second shot was placed directly on the crook of the bucks neck and of course easily penetrated cleanly ending the fight instantly.

My biggest mistake was predicting a 5" wind drift from the relatively stiff wind quartering from behind me right to left. That big 156 gr landed exactly where held the dot except for about 3" high which I contribute to the 7500 ft altitude compared to the 3000 at my range.

All and all it was a great hunt and I expect to go back to Little Creek Ranch in the future for some extreme range hunting.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Pics of the \"Phantom Fallow\" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Cont..

Looks like a rather nice buck to me KIrby!! The best part is all the history behind him eluding the guides and other hunters for soo long that in itself is a trophy in my book!! Good job and great shooting!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of the \"Phantom Fallow\" - Allen Mag field test in Colorado Co

Kirby:

Great pictures and a super nice "Phantom". Are you gonna have him mounted? I saw Korey's pics on the other site and the country looks like, if you could get the animals to co-operate, there is some great potential for long range shots. Maybe next time they'll co-operate with you a little better. Now that you have the "Phantom" out of the way it's time to go for a nice book buck next time.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Nice trophy!!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 PM

Hi Kirby
What breed of stock is that thumbhole?
And is it laminated?
APB
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

APB,

Its one of the old Fajen thumbhole. I believe they were called Timberlines. Now days you can get the same basic stock from Boyds but the new boyds is not pillar bedded like the Fajen, still this is easy to do.

Yes, it is Laminated Birch. This stock has been with me a long time on many hard hunts and it is showing its age. Still, its very stable, accuracy, consistant and best of all one of the most comfortable stocks I have owned. It has been on three different rifles but will retire on this 257 Allen Mag.

Here is a better pic of the rifle. This was before the Weaver Tactical was mounted this spring for long range shooting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks Kirby
What would be the best thumbhole laminated stock brand currently in your opinion?