Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of highlights from coues whitetail hunt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Pics of highlights from coues whitetail hunt.

JD338,

I was hunting central Arizona. January archery "any antlered deer" but was specifecly targeting coues whitetails. Had a mulie stepped out....I would not have thought twice. For the record, I didnt see any mulies.

Buffalobob,

Thanks for the tip on the stool leggs! This was the first time I used this walkstool. Boy have I been missing out! I can glass all day without a sore butt or back! The tri-pod with the ultra smooth and positive ball head from the outdoorsmans helps alot also.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

P.S.

Buffalobob,

I was useing a kodiak outdoors bow logic 32. Arrows are carbon express with Montec G5 broadheads 100 grain.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Those are some huge bulls! Too bad you have to win the lottery just to apply for a nonresident elk tag in Arizona. That is a beautiful Coues mount also. Nothing trips my trigger like the sight of a big bull elk. I have yet to shoot a bull (killed a few cows), but had the heart pounding pleasure of having a 340+ bull at 10 yards while bowhunting for mulies a couple of years ago. Better luck next year with the Coues deer! Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Sambo,

I am with ya on the sight of big bull elk. I am a beyond help elkoholic! I have been lucky enough to have drawn 2 Az bull rut tags. I missed a solid 350+ bull (6x6) the first year and bagged a nice 5x5 on the last day of my 04 hunt. I was in search of a toad and settled for the 5x5 on the season closer. The area I took the photos was the perfect place for long range hunting. They were all in a huge canyon type area down in the nasty parts. I was perched on an outcropping of flat rocks that you could lay on, bi-pod extended....All one has to do is win a permit. Shots on these bulls would have been 700-900 yards.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Good stuff but I really badly want a set of these giant binoculars

Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Dave,

This was the first time I have had these to the field. They are the EL 10x42's. They are worth every penny. They are noticably brighter and crisper than even the SLC's, which my cousin there has both the 8x30 SLC and the 15x56 SLC for a side by side comparison. After using my EL's for an hour and switching to the 15's it took my eyes 15 minutes or so to get used to the 15's. When I used the 15's for an hour and switched to the EL's, there was no need to adjust to them, it was just a perfect transition! Although the 15's had a advantage over the 10x at over 1000 yards for glassing up whitetails. I glassed for 10 hours a day for 7 days with no headaches or eye strain. Of course it helps having them mounted on a tripod. You can glass with the sun in your face with out any glare or distortion, and they see deep into the shadows very well.

Regards!