Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
What do you use?

From my experience the Berger and SMK type bullet survive the whack in the magazine better than do most other bullets. I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experience or done any testing the the 'whacked' Berger/SMK type bullets.

I'm certainly not intending to put any responsibility/blame anywhere, just to be clear, WildRose, in case your comments were directed at me. A 'whacked' bullet point is simply a byproduct of hunting with rounds in a magazine. No more...no less. I have made an observation and was curious if others could shed any light on it via their experience/possible testing. The issue I raised may not be an issue at all, I don't know. But it would be nice to know if it is, and if it is, I may make adjustments.
I don't shoot anything but open or polymer tipped bullets any more as the deformation of the soft points bugged the hell out of me and seemed to at least have some effect on accuracy.

Open tips and Polymer tips just seem to my from my experience to produce much more consistent expansion again and again.

With open tips though I have seen a problem with them failing to open properly if one way or another the tip is closed/clogged.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM

I am new to this site but find this topic very interesting. This is the first year I have used berger bullets. my friend and I spend countless hours shooting up to 800 yards at targets to prepare for our annual caribou hunt. Kind of makes you mad when you practice for the long shot and shoot a booker at 60 yards. Three shots before he fell. Anyone who has hunted these animals know they can soak up the lead. But there was big time expansion with the 180 vlds from my 300 win mag. My moose kill this year was somewhat different. 450 yards and went in 2 inches and broke the front shoulder. No vitals,it just fell down and couldnt get up. Had to finish it off at 20 yards. I am thinking about trying 210 vlds but maybe they are not the bullet many claim them to be.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

I shot a whitetail buck at 875 with my .338 laupa shooting 300tom bergers. Drilled through the shoulder blade and exited just in front of the off shoulder with no expansion. Maybe not enough heavy bone to expand?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine99 View Post
I shot a whitetail buck at 875 with my .338 laupa shooting 300tom bergers. Drilled through the shoulder blade and exited just in front of the off shoulder with no expansion. Maybe not enough heavy bone to expand?
Should expand without hitting bone. Years ago I used Nosler ballistic tips on whitetail and stopped because I wasted so much meat. Not much meat on the front anyway, but very messy
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntwhities View Post
I would have thought that someone would come on and say I have shot animals with the 300 bergers with no trouble. I guess that is just a subject that is not to be touched. I know there were kills but have hear alot of pencil holes with them. .
If you are truly interested in real results that I have had you will find them here.

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

I like to take pics of entrance and exits so people can see for their selves and decide if it is the kind of results they want from their hunting bullet.

The OP asked specifically for people to reply in an attempt to find a problem or to hear from others that may have had a similar problem. I hadn't posted this as I figured many had seen it already and their were no problems.

If you want to hear from all the successful kills of game from 300 Bergers this thread could get pretty long. I know of many people that have used them with good results. But I thought this thread was to work out a specific problem not tell about kills with no problems.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

I have shot thousands and thousands of berger bullets both Target and hunting vlds. I have seen them perform like that a few times. One time was a mule deer Doe at 987 yds with a 264 win mag and a 140 hunting vld leaving the muzzle at 3100fps. Slightly quartering to shot bullet found and looked exactly like the one in the first photo. I was giving the bullet the benifit because it was right on the edge of the min speed for expandtion. Other one that sticks out was on a 340 class bull elk at 650 yds with a 6.5-284 and 140 vld. 4 shots later all in the vitals and a long walk later, no recovered bullets and caliber sized entry and exit wounds. Can't explain that one. Other then that the hundreds of animals I've seen shot with bergers have dropped on the spot or don't make it far after the shot with massive damage. Me personally have started shooting hornady amax.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Not extremely far but here's a pic of coyote I shot at 350yds with a 7mm dakota shooting 180gr berger hybrids.

Nathan