Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #204  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,391
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Alright I've read through 16 pages of this thread until my eyes started hurting from looking at the screen for so long..

Hats off to Berger for being so involved!!

The only Berger that I have ever had a pin hole in / pin hole out was with 185gr berger vld hunting out of a 300rum on a cow I had walked up on, she was about 200 yds away laying behind a large boulder and was locked onto me no way to get a body shot or even move a muscle. I decided to go for a head shot and to my surprise I drilled her. As I was walking up to her I was expecting to see a mess made of her head. When I got to her the only thing that was out of place were both of her eyes were out of the sockets and hanging down. Pin hole in pin hole out. I'd assume that this was due to being so close without alot of resistance upon impact??

Later in the season Same rifle same bullets I shot a large mulie buck that was across the ridge from me right at 450 yds. He was chasing a doe up the hill and in fear of him going over the top I dropped down held on the back of his head as he was walking up the ridge and send it off. Bullet hit him directly between the shoulders and dropped him. He didnt move a muscle so i figured he was done. I made it to the bottom and about have way up the ridge he was on, I look over as he was dragging himself with his front legs / rolling down the snowy hillside. I made my way over in his direction and put a round right at the base of his head with my 40s&w. upon examination the berger bullet appeared to have blown up on impact. It did damage his spine but entrance damage was the size of my fist on the top of the shoulders. I say entrance damage due to the lacking of a hole. Not sure why this happened...

These are the only two out of the ordinary experiences I've ever had. Every other animal I've taken with Bergers have dropped dead on the spot!

Alright done with story time... Now for questions,

I plan to use 230gr Targets in my 300rum this year. Will the (target) part of this be a problem??
The high impact at 200 yards should cause MORE explosiveness. This is one of those cases that people report occasionally. My belief is, it is either a tip that was closed, it filled with hair or ??, and didn't allow any hydraulic action to take place. Could have been a combination of both? Broz would be the one to ask about the 230's but my understanding is, people are using them with success although they are tougher than the 215's. As far as the target designation goes, the Berger hunting bullets now use to be their target bullets. The new target bullets have a thicker jacket......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 773
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Thanks for the reply Rich,

It is very possible that I could have been a round that was in the magazine from the year before that had been slammed around the magazine when shooting as another member had mentioned earlier in this thread damaging the tip.

Any thoughts on the exploding Berger on the mulie? It really doesn't matter because I will always use Berger in ever application that I can! It'd just be nice to know.

I will get a hold of Jeff and see what his thoughts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
The high impact at 200 yards should cause MORE explosiveness. This is one of those cases that people report occasionally. My belief is, it is either a tip that was closed, it filled with hair or ??, and didn't allow any hydraulic action to take place. Could have been a combination of both? Broz would be the one to ask about the 230's but my understanding is, people are using them with success although they are tougher than the 215's. As far as the target designation goes, the Berger hunting bullets now use to be their target bullets. The new target bullets have a thicker jacket......Rich
__________________
My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and ask what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,498
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
The high impact at 200 yards should cause MORE explosiveness. This is one of those cases that people report occasionally. My belief is, it is either a tip that was closed, it filled with hair or ??, and didn't allow any hydraulic action to take place. Could have been a combination of both? Broz would be the one to ask about the 230's but my understanding is, people are using them with success although they are tougher than the 215's. As far as the target designation goes, the Berger hunting bullets now use to be their target bullets. The new target bullets have a thicker jacket......Rich

I was sitting behind Broz son as he smoked a couple antelope last year with his 300 win and 230 Bergers and can attest to the fact they they are extremely lethal, farthest one piled up and the second one took the hit at tried to move but had a hard time since her lungs were hanging in the sage brush. I was impressed The 230 from a RUM should be most excellent!!!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,498
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Thanks for the reply Rich,

It is very possible that I could have been a round that was in the magazine from the year before that had been slammed around the magazine when shooting as another member had mentioned earlier in this thread damaging the tip.

Any thoughts on the exploding Berger on the mulie? It really doesn't matter because I will always use Berger in ever application that I can! It'd just be nice to know.

I will get a hold of Jeff and see what his thoughts are.
The first bullet opened but it was so fast that it blew the nose of leaving a caliber hole in and out, I've seen this a few times and then you open them up and it looks like a blender cut loose!

Also seen the same thing you had on a deer, when that bullet uncorks at the top of the shoulders in that heavy muscle it will often blow upwards and back since that is a very easy path for it to go, a little lower and it augers a hole through! One reason I put all my Bergers touch in behind the shoulder and shoot the heaviest I can, you'll have a more harmonious out come
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 773
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

How far out were they if you recall? How do you think they would perform on a solid shoulder hit?? Never intentional of coarse.

Ill have to have Jeff send me some pictures lol I know how he loves to take pictures of holes!

I am super excited to report back with the results. Possibly as soon as this Sunday! opening of legal wolf hunting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I was sitting behind Broz son as he smoked a couple antelope last year with his 300 win and 230 Bergers and can attest to the fact they they are extremely lethal, farthest one piled up and the second one took the hit at tried to move but had a hard time since her lungs were hanging in the sage brush. I was impressed The 230 from a RUM should be most excellent!!!
__________________
My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and ask what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Posts: 2,736
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post

I am super excited to report back with the results. Possibly as soon as this Sunday! opening of "legal" wolf hunting!!
__________________

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 773
Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

I was wondering how long it would take

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
__________________
My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and ask what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berger Bullets vs Controlled Expansion Bullets jhlobik Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 95 02-09-2014 08:31 PM
Video interview of Walt Berger and Eric Stecker of Berger Bullets Len Backus Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews 6 02-18-2012 11:22 AM
GS bullets on game w/ pics RockyMtnMT Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 14 12-12-2009 07:26 AM
Berger needs hunting pics Eric Stecker Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 3 10-30-2007 11:08 PM
Need several 7mm bullets.Cauterucio,JLK & Berger VLD bullets... smack Guns For Sale 1 03-04-2007 09:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC