Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pics of Meplat-Trimmed Berger 210 VLD Bullets Performing

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
This experience causes me to suspect, more than ever, that the closed-tip factory VLDs are less likely to expand on game. If this minimal meplat trimming and hollow pointing turns the VLD into mini-bombs, the closed tips could result in unexpanded pass-thrus.

I suspect the best modification to the tips of the factory VLDs might be solely using the Kevin Cram hollow-pointing tool to ensure all factory VLD tips have a uniformed hole at their tip, prior to use on big game. Nothing certain here, just my suspicion.

Wow those are some crazy holes. Is he going to be okay, haha. All joking aside I can see how there might be substantial meat loss with a poorly placed hit. I kinda like to see a little more penetration before the explosion myself. Still great pics thanks for the followup sir.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Meplat-Trimmed Berger 210 VLD Bullets Performing

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

Here's the photos I took while field butchering this bull:

Entry side after trimming away some of the worst blood-gelling right next to the bullet holes.

After further trimming away of blood shot meat.

After trimming away of blood shot meat is complete. Two bullet entrance holes are clearly visible now. The one on the right struck the rib just off the tip of the knife blade.

Entry holes viewed from inside the ribcage.

Any questions - ask.

Very very similar performances w/300 gr Gen I 338 @ 157 yds except that bullet travel was almost exactly parallel to the rib cage. Animal was a decent size cow elk. MV was ~2730.

Bullet never entered the chest cavity.

10" of the major blood vessle under the spine was gone.

If the bullet wouldn't have performed in that manner I would have lost her.

Methinks velocity has a major affect.

Meplates are as built.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

We've played with tipping and drilling for a couple years and I'm not a fan, after seen deer and antelope hit with modified bullets there was no way I'd shoot an elk with them. Far more consistent and meat loss is minimal with normal Bergers. There are bullets I'll modify but not an out of the box Berger.
Inspect the tips, take them hunting and worry about shot placement seems to work the best for me.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
We've played with tipping and drilling for a couple years and I'm not a fan, after seen deer and antelope hit with modified bullets there was no way I'd shoot an elk with them. Far more consistent and meat loss is minimal with normal Bergers. There are bullets I'll modify but not an out of the box Berger.
Inspect the tips, take them hunting and worry about shot placement seems to work the best for me.
+1 ............I believe that will be my strategy as well. It seems to me that you lose the initial penetration, which is the key to these bergers working well with minimal meat loss. Through the exterior blow up on interior so to speak. I guess if the system aint broke dont try to fix it. JMHO of course.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history

Last edited by IdahoRedneck; 08-16-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Exit wound on cow elk taken with .338 300grn gen 2 OTM. No tip modification done. Range was 373 yards with mv of 2835
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????-300-grain-berger-exit.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

You will read threads on all bullet brands of instances like these. Some hate, some love. Pictures add some validity and some concern but not every bullet will work perfect everytime. TRY Barnes bullets in the High velocity cartridges. I have had better luck with these than any other bullet.
NOSLER I hope your listening.. We are waiting for the NEW LONG RANGE Accubond.. I Hope it is a Gamechanger!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Lots of good comments about bullet performance and My experience with all bullets has been much the same.

I have had different bullets perform beautifully then for some strange reason fail miserably

The Sierra Match kings also come to mind when I saw Big greens post. I did the same (Trim the Meplat) to enlarge the tip and open the hollow point up just a little. It worked better but was still not consistent. the monolithic solids were inconsistent also.

I finally gave up on the highest BC bullets and the monolithic solids and started Looking for something that shot after shot performed the same whether your shot placement was in bone
or soft tissue.

My findings were, if it was a quality "Bonded Core" bullet they produced very consistent wound
channels whether you hit bone or soft tissue did not seem to make very much difference at any distance.

Bonded bullets expand well at all velocities, but with the jacket bonded to the core they stay
together better and don't fragment as bad as the non bonded bullets. Also with the newest bonded bullets you don't give up much BC for longer ranges.

I realize it is hard to give up those ELR bullets for hunting but at the ranges most of us get to hunt
there is little if any benefit and bullet performance on the game is the most important.

You may have to cut 100 yards off your extreme range and dope the wind and conditions better
but when the game hits the ground where he was standing more often it will be worth it.

When shooting steel or paper at extreme distance the VLD type of bullets come into there own.

Just my experience and recommendations for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM