Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Meplat-Trimmed Berger 210 VLD Bullets Performing

This experience causes me to suspect, more than ever, that the closed-tip factory VLDs are less likely to expand on game. If this minimal meplat trimming and hollow pointing turns the VLD into mini-bombs, the closed tips could result in unexpanded pass-thrus.

I suspect the best modification to the tips of the factory VLDs might be solely using the Kevin Cram hollow-pointing tool to ensure all factory VLD tips have a uniformed hole at their tip, prior to use on big game. Nothing certain here, just my suspicion.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Good stuff Paul, and a very nice bull. I'm not too surprised at the difference and is the reason I have recommended to people for awhile that they drill out the tips if they want more consistent expansion. Again, it depends on how far away your game is. Closer up, the factory bergers may perform better. At 1000+, there is no doubt in my mind the doctored meplats are the ticket. As I think you indicated, a small meplat cleaning may make things more consistent at mid ranges.......Rich
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath;
If this minimal meplat trimming and hollow pointing turns the VLD into mini-bombs, the closed tips could result in unexpanded pass-thrus.
I've boned out many animals taken with the Berger vld hunting bullets from various weights and calibers and have never seen anything even close to those pictures, but then again I've never had one yet where it was just a point pass through either.

Thanks for sharing your results as it convinces me not to try that route.

Has anyone heard anything further from Berger on this matter?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Has anyone heard anything further from Berger on this matter?
Good question. I've not read anything one way or the other, but await those test results.

In the mean time, I'll only use the hollow pointing tool, and just enough to center a complete and uniform hole in the tips of the VLD jacket. I didn't experience many bullets that were completely sealed off in a box of 100, but I believe I've been unlucky enough to have loaded and fired a couple closed-tipped VLDs into big game animals - resulting in unexpanded pass-throughs.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Paul, As we discussed, I have not had an issue with many kills with the 210 HVLD. What I will do from now on , and what I would recommend is this. I am not modifying the tips of the bullet in any way. But I will either visually or with a small wire inspect to assure the tips are open before loading them. If I find closed tipped bullets, (I have not found any yet) I will return them to Berger for their testing and I am sure they will gladly replace them.

I do not see a need to modify the tips in a .308 dia. rifle. I limit my ranges to 1000 on large game and I have gone farther for antelope but on rare occasions. I find the Berger 210 HVLD to work very well right out of the box for these distances. As well as up close. Simply inspecting the tips should remove any possible non expansion issues in the future.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Paul, As we discussed, I have not had an issue with many kills with the 210 HVLD. What I will do from now on , and what I would recommend is this. I am not modifying the tips of the bullet in any way. But I will either visually or with a small wire inspect to assure the tips are open before loading them. If I find closed tipped bullets, (I have not found any yet) I will return them to Berger for their testing and I am sure they will gladly replace them.

I do not see a need to modify the tips in a .308 dia. rifle.
Jeff
I understand your position Jeff, since you've not experienced any problems with these VLDs.

The hollow-pointing tool will both ensure the tips aren't closed, and create a minimum hole size - the diameter of the drill tip on the hollow-pointing tool. The drill bit on the tip of this tool isn't any larger than some of the holes in the tips of the factory jackets. Berger might do something along these lines themselves, but it would require an additional step in the manufacturing process which translates into additional cost.

The current manufacturing process produces bullets with differing size holes in the bullet tips and in fact, some closed tips. This becomes obvious after using the hollow-pointing tool on a couple hundred bullets and observing the size of the holes in the tip of each bullet jacket.

If I didn't already own the hollow-pointing tool, I'd do what you recommend, because the affect of using the tool remains - admittedly - unknown. But I now know that the much more aggressive opening of the meplat on the tips of the two bullets I used on this caribou still resulted in complete penetration.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

This will be my first year to try the Bergers on big game, so I can't offer anything to this discussion except that the performance of those modified bullets on the caribou are the reason I stopped using C&C bullets a few decades ago. Just too much ruined meat.