Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Eric has already warned us about modifying the tips through trimming etc and how doing so may produce negative performance issues so let's just give them time to work it all out under controlled and consistent conditions.
For once, we agree!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Better if everyone used their brains.

Anyone can throw an idea out there even if they don't have the time to do all the testing. If it's a great idea there are people that will jump on it and try it out.

Oh and on the Vaseline, that one was from John Barsness when he had trouble getting TSX to open up in dry newspaper. I had noticed the same thing when testing out that bullet. After reading John's article I put some in my TSX's and had them open up every time in dry news paper. IT WORKED!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbender View Post
Better if everyone used their brains.

Anyone can throw an idea out there even if they don't have the time to do all the testing. If it's a great idea there are people that will jump on it and try it out.

Oh and on the Vaseline, that one was from John Barsness when he had trouble getting TSX to open up in dry newspaper. I had noticed the same thing when testing out that bullet. After reading John's article I put some in my TSX's and had them open up every time in dry news paper. IT WORKED!
I've done most of the mods you posted and it makes things get way to aggressive and less predictable than the bullet in it's OEM form. Silicone in the tip works well to initiate expansion as well.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually common sense tells us that anything you do to modify the shape of the bullet such as meplat trimming is going to affect the bullets flight characteristics making it inherently less accurate.
Competitive target shooters do this very thing. If someone trims the meplat so that it's more consistent than it arrives from the factory, accuracy could be expected to increase.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Competitive target shooters do this very thing. If someone trims the meplat so that it's more consistent than it arrives from the factory, accuracy could be expected to increase.
I'll instead go with the opinion of the guy who makes some of the finest VLD bullets in the world.

You can't change the shape or weight of a bullet without changing it's BC and flight characteristics.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll instead go with the opinion of the guy who makes some of the finest VLD bullets in the world.

You can't change the shape or weight of a bullet without changing it's BC and flight characteristics.
It's a free world, and you're free to be wrong. You should preach only what you know for a fact, and stop bluffing.

I challenge you to locate and provide us with a reference for any quote from either Eric Stecker or Bryan Litz stating that Meplat uniforming will make their bullets (Berger) less accurate.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
It's a free world, and you're free to be wrong. You should preach only what you know for a fact, and stop bluffing.

I challenge you to locate and provide us with a reference for any quote from either Eric Stecker or Bryan Litz stating that Meplat uniforming will make their bullets (Berger) less accurate.
I'm not wrong. You change any variable in the calculation for determning BC and you change the BC and flight characteristics of the bullet. That of course ioncludes changing the mass, shape, or length.

where:
  • BCPhysics = ballistic coefficient as used in physics and engineering
  • M = mass
  • A = cross-sectional area
  • Cd = drag coefficient
  • ρ (rho) = average density
  • l = body length

Eric specifically addressed terminal performance with respect to meplat trimming in cautioning against dong so but did not mention the rest.

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????