Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Wow, I didn't see this thread until today. Interesting read through and through.

Dad and I just started shooting the Berger, I think 168 gr. hunting VLD, in our 30-06 of use out to 400 yards. We had an interesting result already. Dad shot a muley at 75 yards this year, and I watched the bullet hit and figured the deer was dead, high lung shot. It ran over the hill, and we walked to the edge of the hill expecting to find it dead. To our surprise it was walking up the hill on the other side about 150 yards away. Dad shot again and missed. The deer got away from us, but was obviously hurt. I caught up to it about a half mile away bedded down. I shot it and killed it there. No blood trail leading to the deer, but it is very open country around here so it wasn't too tough to find. Sure enough, dad's bullet hit a little high, but when I was gutting the deer out it had pierced both lungs. There was a 30 caliber hole in and out. We couldn't explain the results. After reading this I will be interested to see how Eric's test results turn out, and I will go through and check each bullet with a staple before loading to be on the safe side until then. The Berger's are shooting well out of both my 7mmRM and 30-06, so I definitely plan to keep using them in both. Glad that Eric is standing behind his products and trying to find a reason.

Joe
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM

I think I know the reason why, I use the 6.8 spc and am active on the 68 forums and one member has posted results about his bergers. Apparently the copper jacket is extremely thick at the front of the bullet causing it to yaw on impact and exit rear end first, or not way and just keep trudging. Here is the thread if you would like to read it in its entirety.

Scroll down to post #5

6.8 caribou
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgikill View Post
I think I know the reason why, I use the 6.8 spc and am active on the 68 forums and one member has posted results about his bergers. Apparently the copper jacket is extremely thick at the front of the bullet causing it to yaw on impact and exit rear end first, or not way and just keep trudging. Here is the thread if you would like to read it in its entirety.

Scroll down to post #5

6.8 caribou
The 6.8spc is a completely different animal from the rifles most of us are shooting here. The velocities are so low at the muzzle compared to what we are shooting it's really a completely apples to anvils comparison.

That doesn't totally invalidate someone's results but it is pretty much like comparing a riding mower to a corvette.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Scroll down to post #5

6.8 caribou
Very interesting, I've shot thousands of that bullet from 270's and 270 WSM and never seen anything like that. From my shooting the 140 from our rifles I don't like putting them on the shoulder because they open very well, shooting behind the shoulder and it blows the lungs to shreds and you find little copper parts and the base copper cup with lead in it on the of side. I would guess that someone has to slow a twist rate to keep the bullets stable at the velocity a 6.8 would launch it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 6.8spc is a completely different animal from the rifles most of us are shooting here. The velocities are so low at the muzzle compared to what we are shooting it's really a completely apples to anvils comparison.

That doesn't totally invalidate someone's results but it is pretty much like comparing a riding mower to a corvette.
Velocity is 2400-2500 and the bullet is made for a 270 win. not a 6.8. Point is manufacturing processes are probably identical and I guarantee that if you cut your bullet lengthwise you will find that the jacket is thick at the nose. Those 6.8 bullets still destroy everything, they just act weird.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Velocity is 2400-2500 and the bullet is made for a 270 win. not a 6.8. Point is manufacturing processes are probably identical and I guarantee that if you cut your bullet lengthwise you will find that the jacket is thick at the nose. Those 6.8 bullets still destroy everything, they just act weird.
Tell ya what. Get out your handy dandy ballistics calculator and compare energies all the way out to 1,000yds between the 6.8 and 270 at hundred yard intervals and get back with us. The difference in the fps makes a HUGE difference on terminal ballistics between the two due to the much higher energy on impact.

No bullet acts the same at all velocities and energies.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a 140 Berger milled so as to see the jacket thickness next to a 140 Berger that was recovered on the of side of a cow elk. I've shot a lot of game with that bullet and my buddy has shot quite a few with them from a 270 win, I've never seen one not opened or a hint of it tumbling. Even the ones we find in the 1000 and 1450 yard berms are opened very well!!! Should add launch velocity is 3340fps in the WSM and 3035 fps from the 270 win.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"