Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Ya the bullet was matched with the twist rate of the custom gun i built, i two have shot plenty of animals with the Berger bullets and some have performed like they should and some have been a pencil hole in and pencil hole out with no blood trail. Or the animals just walk off hit, but never able to find them! I shoot my guns alot and many different long range setups. All my rounds are seated at the correct depths and only getting a couple fps extreme spread with the Hodgon powders i use (Retumbo and H1000). My father shot a bull this year at 705 yards with the 210gr. Berger in a 300 ultra mag, high shoulder shot and dropped the bull in his tracks, he slid down the park about 300 yards and into the trees and we figured he was dead.. by the time we got up there an hour later we saw the skid marks with not one drop of blood anywhere. we followed it the tracks into the trees and found the bull there still alive. I have this on video as well when he put a final kill shot at 20 yards. Broz I have read your thread on the 215gr. 30 cal, looks like a great combination and very lethal setup you have! I have put together alot of long range rifles and have had good feed back on most, but there has been some instances with these bullets that i cant figure out! It just seems that they are to inconsistent, but yes i was really glad to retrieve this bullet to finally see what some of this was going on! I personally am not the only one that i have talked to and heard these stories unfortunately. I love the high b.c. of Berger bullets and have to use them for the long range hunting, but its really making me wonder! Thank you guys for your inputs and we will see what else comes through this thread!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

My question still is how could any bullet fired at over 3000 fps that never expanded hit an elk at 600 yards and not pass through. The bullet still has it's point but yet it stopped before exiting? This is what all the manufacturers of solids and bonded bullets depend on, exits, yet this bullet kept it's shape and point but didn't exit? Anyone else here see a problem with this?

Jeff
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I didn't recover the bullet because it passed through and left a .308 exit hole on the off-side of a dall ram in 2010. Here's a link to the Thread describing my experience.
Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

I have shot about 7 game animals with the VLDs. 168 grain .284s and 210 grain .308s. Great experiences with 5. Marginal on 1. And unacceptable on the dall ram.

You were fortunate to have recovered the bullet under the hide. I suspect most bullets that don't open up pass out the off-side of the game animal, never to be seen again. But I'll pay attention to see if any more photos are posted.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My question still is how could any bullet fired at over 3000 fps that never expanded hit an elk at 600 yards and not pass through. The bullet still has it's point but yet it stopped before exiting? This is what all the manufacturers of solids and bonded bullets depend on, exits, yet this bullet kept it's shape and point but didn't exit? Anyone else here see a problem with this?

Jeff
Tumbling and just bouncing around inside till it's energy is expended would be the only possible answer.

Of course, that would create one hellish wound channel and as such the animal should have gone down immediately.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

This is a great topic on why the bullet didnt exit or expand thats why i posted this pic! Obviously my velocities and point of aim ect..had to be dead on to hit this animal at 626 yards. so i think that i did my part on placing the shot ect. BUT exactly that is my Question why didnt this bullet expand at 3,025 fps?? Also here is a great question to you as well: why is Best of the West all of a sudden promoting the 300 win mag after all these years they said the 7mm mag was the best??....Maybe Broz is right on this one by shooting the 300 win 215VLDs
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Silver Member

Broz----Did Erick send any bullets your way for the testing and all the info you produced?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

I used the 7mm 180 Hunting VLD's this year out of my 7 rem mag for marmots. I shot almost a dozen at ranges from 920 to 1156 yards. I was pleasantly surprised with how effective they were on those small targets. Sometimes they just ripped them, and at worst, they still showed some expansion and did the job nicely. I did manage to dig a couple of them out of the ground at 968 yards, and they were pretty much destroyed.
This is my first year using this bullet, and so far I am impressed.
I am also using 140 gr HVLD's in my 270 WSM with similar results, but only out to 592 yards. I did punch some paper at 842 yards a couple weeks ago and dug out a few bullets. They were mushroomed nicely, but not to the extent the 7mm's had been.
I'm getting 2980 out of the 7 mag, and 3180 with the 270.