Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Hey broz,

If you are still following this thread.....I sent you a PM a few days back.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

question for everyone here....

on a new Berger 338 OTM 300 grain, how far down the open tip can you push a pin or something similar?

I tried that on 50 of mine the other night, none were closed, but some went in a 16th of an inch, most around an 8th, if that, nothing more than an 8th.

is this normal? or should it go in further than this?

thanks,
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Ok broz won't scream bs? I will.
I've never seen a used berger that did'nt come outa the ground look like that.
I'm not callin anyone a liar but I've shot control for 8 years and berger long before it was ok to use them on game. In the thousands of dead bergerized bodies I've seen none looked like that except when outa steam.
A 180 ANYTHING that won't pass a chest cavity while not expanded seems suspect.
Also a bear that was nicked at 1150? Doesn't prove much to me except a possible ax to grind.
Kinda amazes me the lack of knowledge about picking a bullet. Yeah I've seen 1000s of critters die but this isnt rocket science. #1 No bullet is perfect 100% #2 Anything can happen at any time (maybe the accounts are accurate I'll beleive anything.
The whole deal though cracks me up. Every day there is some thread about this bullet sux and that one doesnt. This shows that the people posting this stuff havent been around much. Any bullet can work like a death ray or a flop. just depends what day it was.
Tough cow elk. Hit perfectly(therefore has no lung integrity and a collapsing diaphrgm) and just out walking around. HMMMM.
I guide a lot of badass niteforce sendero totin hombres and I have learned the reason for all the badass eqipment......someone to blame besides the trigger man when something comes up.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

Here "hold my beer. I need to get some popcorn."
Got a feeling this is gonna get interesting now.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullridety View Post
Here is another pic of the 7mm 180 VLD. it is opened at the tip and i can stick the staple about 1/4" in before i bottom out. However im not sure if this bullet had an enclosed tip before i shot it because i wasnt ever aware of something going to happen like this. The 338 bullet was immediately recovered after the shot this spring, it was a definite hit on the bear and the bullet has been in the ash tray of a truck since this spring until last week.
So.......now we have a bullet (that looks incredibly similar to long range skippers) that was found in an elk.....and the OPEN hollow point is not full of meat or whatever? Oh bergers suck so bad the meat wont go in the hole? HMMMMM I wonder how the tip didnt fill with blood while laying there against the hide with MS. ELK skippin all over hither and yon.
Once again please stop selling elk kevlar jackets people!
Problem is when people start wanting to prove something they dont realize that somewhere out there is someone who has been there and done that and will recognize when 2+2=5
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
So.......now we have a bullet (that looks incredibly similar to long range skippers) that was found in an elk.....and the OPEN hollow point is not full of meat or whatever? Oh bergers suck so bad the meat wont go in the hole? HMMMMM I wonder how the tip didnt fill with blood while laying there against the hide with MS. ELK skippin all over hither and yon.
Once again please stop selling elk kevlar jackets people!
Problem is when people start wanting to prove something they dont realize that somewhere out there is someone who has been there and done that and will recognize when 2+2=5
Some people seem to want miracles rather than bullets.

You punch one of these bullets through the shoulders and spine and whether they expand or not the animal is DRT. The only exception to that would be if the bullet flat exploded as soon as it strikes the target and doesn't penetrate at all. Unless you are shooting them at warp nine and at close range that possibility is negligible at best.

No amount of engineering and quality control at the factory is going to make up for poor shot placement.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe