Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

haha i will be in colorado during christmas break, hunting some cow elk.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

I have used Berger's for a long time and haven't had any trouble out of any yet. but y'all got me thinking about the tips being closed clogged up and not expanding so i'm wanting to test them out for my self. i shot hundreds of hogs a year down here in south Texas and don't do any thing with them.
so i'm thinking of shooting a couple in the head with a 22lr then hang them up so i can shoot them at different ranges just to see what happens with clogged up bullets with different kinds of stuff clogging them up pocket lint, mud, foam, cord board maybe bang some around in a magazine any kind of stuff you may run in to hunting. i have a unlimited supply of targets just waiting to be test piggies.
any one got any idea too make this work better i'll video it and take pics of the damage.
but i know that i have not had any trouble killing the crap out of hogs with both SMK or bergers so for.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Never had the opportunity to meat Broz but with the way he approaches things he'd be welcome around my campfire anytime.
Going to go at this with the 6.5 140 VLD hybrid target to start with. Got a son who finished his marine career, got married, bought a new house and a custom rifle just doesn't fit into budget. He just picked up a 6.5x284 factory savage in a LRH. with a factory barrel he figures the hybrids would have a better chance of flying straight with less effort. Berger does not make the 6.5-140 gr in a hunting hybrid so once we get his rifle, scope, mounts and everything gathered up we'll start from scratch. Ordered 2 boxes of bullets yesterday.

Don't want to hijack this thread but if anyone has some media ideas please send me a PM - I'm all ears as this is virgin territory for me. We're going to do some testing. We intend to test the same bullets right out of the box, meplat tool, and crimp/plug the noses shut.
jello, thats what ballistic gellatin is. allbeit its high quatity and calibrated. but you can filter it reuse it and insert bones from the butcher shop or what ever
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Jeff, the Berger's are A+ for friendly.
Additionally Ive never had anything even appraoching this problem, most of my kills have been with the same bullet. you had poor results.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

He never said that they wouldn't fail. For someone to say that something man made wont fail would be an idiot. Everything man made has a chance of failure and will fail at some point in time. I believe that Eric and their team is trying their best to make those chances as small as possible.

Eric and his team has gone above and beyond as a business to come on here publicly and try to test the bullets that are seeming to fail and try to fix the problem.

I am not sure as to why Eric didn't answer your email but maybe he is just a tad bit busy?!

As for you getting kudos on buying Berger bullets, I don't even know why you posted that. Is it because you wanted some kind of praise like Broz was getting? I am sure this is one reason that Broz didn't want any praise from them or any free stuff because there would be someone on here that would want to jump on the bandwagon as well and cause some grief. Well, I guess he was right.

I buy a ton of bullets from other companies. Just started with Berger earlier this year. I don't expect any praise from the company that provides a good service to the community of hunters and shooters.

I have not yet had a bullet failure from Berger so I can't tell you what the problem might be but I bet Eric and the people at Berger will do everything that they can to figure it out.

Hey Eric, can I get a free t-shirt or hat for this supportive post? J/k of course.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Why not post the videos on the doe and elk so we can see the hit. Then someone may have a suggestion. It certainly can't hurt.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

So what now is your bullet of choice? Have you made any other long range kills with bullets other than bergers and how did they perform? You can PM me if you'd like.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/