Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM

Re: Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

Interesting. I've never had anything but incredible results and vital destruction on big Muleys and Elk with the VLD. Just really been awesome for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Well don't tell Broz. He'll get all giddy about a new Berger project and and won't be able to sleep until next fall!
Please keep us all up to date. I am very interested in the results!
Scot E.
Never had the opportunity to meat Broz but with the way he approaches things he'd be welcome around my campfire anytime.
Going to go at this with the 6.5 140 VLD hybrid target to start with. Got a son who finished his marine career, got married, bought a new house and a custom rifle just doesn't fit into budget. He just picked up a 6.5x284 factory savage in a LRH. with a factory barrel he figures the hybrids would have a better chance of flying straight with less effort. Berger does not make the 6.5-140 gr in a hunting hybrid so once we get his rifle, scope, mounts and everything gathered up we'll start from scratch. Ordered 2 boxes of bullets yesterday.

Don't want to hijack this thread but if anyone has some media ideas please send me a PM - I'm all ears as this is virgin territory for me. We're going to do some testing. We intend to test the same bullets right out of the box, meplat tool, and crimp/plug the noses shut.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I work in the MFG process in Downhole electronic field . we have very controlled process's in our MFG Area. our products go down the hole behind the tool bit and see's temps of 210C . our computer boards will go down a oil or gas hole and run for 15,000 hours with out failure and go 15-20 thousand feet , some will go out and fail at 100Ft ? we have multiple heat and shock and vibe testing before it leaves our facility. then our customer will test it also before a board goes to the field . We use class III inspection criteria which is a higher standard than military testing . what i am getting at is : this is a muti billion dollar industry !

No matter how tight your process's are there is still a chance of
Failure . even with very proven designs .

Eric is doing the correct thing to find root cause then he will be able to see if the issiue can be corrected .

I have been doing this for 15 years and sometime's you will have a one off problem that will go away .

this is my opinion I have shot bergers and accubonds and standard bullets hand loaded be me .and shot factory rounds .

I have had standard bullets fail before blowing up on impact this happen 2 times ( bullet was a reminton power point 150 gr bullet shot from a 308 on a hog at 150 yards factory load pig walked away died next day and bullet created only a flesh wound . did not enter in chest cavity . load did not seam to be a lite loaded bullet from the factory .

I also had a accubond jacket peel off from the lead core , on a deer hit in the shoulder at 175 yards hand load not book max . found the jacket in the top of chest cavity and the bullet on the inside of the shoulder. deer was shot forward in the frount shoulder , deer was dead any way , but bullet didnt stay together. bullet did not hit any bone .

I have just started using bergers 300 ultra , and have shot 5 animals with them, i have not had a problem yet . all hand loads below book max. all have been bang flops all have been from 125 yards to 390 yards . bullets preformed correctly .

Could i have a failure in the future yes ! do i undrstand it yes , we live in the real world and no matter how automated and tight a process is there is still a chance that somthing can go wrong .

As long a a manufacture of a product will stand behind their product and listen to the user's of that product and find root causes if any

Also once you modify a product that the designer of the product has not tested all bets are off on the products design!!!! Do not care who has said the modification was OK trimming metraplat!!!!

you can not ask for more than that ! IMOP.

intrested to see the results of the testing , to see if it repeatable .

forgive my spelling i do not use spell check i just cant spell !

Last edited by birddog67; 12-08-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntwhities View Post
For the sake of this thread I am going to have to take a brand new bullet that will let me stick something into it. Load it if I am going to kill something and see if my seater plug is the problem. If it is by theory I should not be able to stick anything back in the hole. If I can then it proves that my dies could not be the problem. Or am I wrong?
This is a great way to check if your seater stem is closing the tip of the bullet. Frankly, I will be surprised if this is the case since reloading tooling manufacturers have been relieving the area where the tip could bottom out since the VLD bullets were introduced in the mid 80's.

Seating stems that are not "VLD" seating stems can leave a ring around the nose because the bullet is contacting the die on a fine edge rather than a shaped flat. The VLD seating dies are shaped to push on the bullet over a wide area. It is unlikely that your stem is touching the tip of the bullet unless your dies are older.

The thing to keep in mind is that you will learn if your seating stem crushes the tip of the bullet to some degree but the fact that it doesn't (if it doesn't) won't matter if the closed tip is not the cause of no expansion. This must be determined. If this is the cause, it is far more likely that you didn't do anything to the bullet to cause the condition of a closed tip.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I just went and checked 166 300 grain berger otm and 2 of them i couldnt fit a staple into, 2 had damaged tips (flattened like they were dropped), and 1 i could BARELY fit the staple into. 1% had flattened tips , 1% had tips i couldnt fit a staple into. Thats really good, i plan to compare the 285 grain hornady bthp to these.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread but if anyone has some media ideas please send me a PM - I'm all ears as this is virgin territory for me. We're going to do some testing. We intend to test the same bullets right out of the box, meplat tool, and crimp/plug the noses shut.
I would pay good money to see a couple 5 gallon buckets full of spam get shot.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I would pay good money to see a couple 5 gallon buckets full of spam get shot.

Riley, You have christmas break coming up, better start buying spam!