Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

pic of my record bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

pic of my record bear

I posted the rug, but I wanted to show the bear. Story goes like this. I was actually going after a nice buck when I heard a lot of commotion coming from the other side of a draw. I knew by the sounds it was either an elk or bear. So I sat down and started rolling rocks down the canyon and pretty soon, mr big came out of a little oping maybe 10 yards. I knew he was coming through there because I could see all the brush and little trees moving as he was going through the draw. As soon as he came out in the opening, I saw cinnamon and a bear. I shot him with my then new 300 RUM and the 200g SMK at 3200fps. Range was 250 yards and the bullet entered behind the shoulder. There was no exit so I dug and found the bullet. It shredded his heart/lungs and I found it on the offside shoulder in the meat. All I found was the base and the jacket. It weighed a mere 20g out of 200g. Pretty crappy weight retention and I didn't even hit the shoulder bone! This led me to NOT use it on my upcoming elk hunt. I then bought some 200g AB's and they will get my elk and bears from now on. The bear slid on his nose at the sound of the shot. It took me a while to find him and it was already almost dark. I was by myself and didn't like the idea of finding him at all. By the time I found him, it was pretty much dark. I knew I had a big one on my hands when I could barely roll him over. It took all my might. I had shot 2 previous bears before, and they were nothing like this. He ended up scoring 18 15/16 and goes #10 for oregon youth. His estimated weight was 400 lbs.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: pic of my record bear

is that a LSS with a stock barrel on it how do you like i really mike mine
Old 02-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, its an LSS with the stock barrel. It has been very accurate for me. It surprised me at first with how accurate it was, but it just kept shooting those .5 groups out to 800 or so yards. All I did to it was glass bed and worked the trigger down to 2.5#, along with some good reloads of course [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I will rebarreling with a Lilja probly, and going with a 28" w/brake, in a 300 RUM again.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

cool mines in 300 RUM trigger was worked pounds the best group was 9/16 inch with remington coreloc utra factory ammo go figure real happy with it
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
I will rebarreling with a Lilja probly, and going with a 28" w/brake, in a 300 RUM again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice. I've kinda got a soft spot for the RUMs as well!!!

BTW, how many animals have you killed this year?