Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Phil and Joel Return From Alaska.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Pic of a happy and tired sheep hunter and his guide. Ram just slid down that chute behind us.

Last edited by philny1; 09-19-2007 at 07:23 AM.

Unread 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Good post thanks for sharing your hunt.
I admit that I know just enough to be dangerous.....but dangerous at ever extending distances.
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Fun to read about your hunt and look at the nice photos. Congrats on the ram and wolf. That wolf is a rare trophy. I hunted out of Chisana once and that country is beautiful. We saw one wolf also but weren't able to get a shot before he saw us and disappeared. We were able to kill a ram and then later a bull moose. Your hunting story and photos brings back fond memories of that country and of our hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us. You gotta get a rug mount on that wolf... what a beauty. And I see you nailed him with a perfectly placed shot. Way cool!
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Silver Member
That is a gorgeous wolf. I've got goosbumps and I'm jealous all at the same time. ;) Sounds like a dream week, riding, humping up some hills and having a chance at taking game in God's country. Glad it worked out well for both of you!
Matt Roth
Unread 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Very nice guys! As most of you know I am a big fan of Alaskan type game. You guys should be very proud of your success!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 09-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Silver Member
Phil and Joel,

Congrats on a great hunt! Awesome Trophies you guys got and amazing scenery as well. I can only hope to one day venture up north to do some hunting. Thanks again for an awesome story and pics and Great Shooting as well.

What calibers were you both shooting if you dont mind my asking?

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Phil and Joe,

Back in early August, I received word that Terry had last minute openings in August and Sept. For 3 weeks we (my best friend and his business partner) researched, called references, asked lots of questions. I was packed and ready to go and the plug got pulled 8 days before the departure date of August 29th. It sounds like had we gone, we would have met the two of you. My questions are as follows.

1. Do you think 3 hunters could make a go of it in one of Terry's camps or would you feel we would need to hunt seperate camps to increase our odds? Possily 2 hunters in 1 camp?

2. The other two guys wish to focus on Grizzly first, Dall 2nd. I don't care which one I shoot first, both would be nice. Would you focus on Dall or Grizzly 1st? Would you say Terry's area is an area which would give a hunter a great chance at a Grizzly. Same question but for a Dall?

3. Would you go back again for Dall? Would you go back again for Grizzly?

4. How was the food?

5. How was the equipment provided?

6. Did you meet Amber?

7. What would you do different if you were to go back?

8. What would you do the same?

9. What gear would you bring next time? What gear would you leave behind? How was Terry's suggested packing list?

10. Did you guys jump on one of Terry's cancelled hunts?

I'm sure I can think of more given the time.