Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Phil and Joel Return From Alaska.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Silver Member
Thanks for the great story and pictures guys. Sounds like you had a blast. Great Ram and Wolf taken as well! I hope in the future I will be able to do one of these trips with some friends of mine as well. Good job changing the minds of your guides and showing them what the LRH guys can do

Unread 09-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Gold Member
Great adventure guys! Great pics, that's one big lookin wolf!

Phil, great to see that you had a good adventure. Cause you sure had some crap luck on your first trip. Very nice looking ram you got!

Joel, you ever feel like taking a Canadian along on an adventure up north, well you just let me know!

Congrats again!
Unread 09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Joel and Phil

Congratulations! I know that is spectacular scenery because I hunted sheep twice with Terry. What a colorful character.

On my first hunt my buddy got a nice Dall ram. On both hunts I had to quit early because my knees protested vigorously. I think at least 1/2, probably 3/4 of the knee problem was caused by too many hours on those especially broad horses. Terry buys or breeds them big to be strong in the harsh conditions.

On the second hunt I thought I had it figured out. I would just walk the whole hunt. But...the river bed right at the starting point was flooded. It took us a few hours on horseback to find our way along and finally across the broad river bed which must have had a dozen little streamlets to cross. There was no way to walk it.

We also saw caribou. No wolves. On the second hunt my son had a close encounter with a grizz while on horseback.
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 09-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sure is nice to be able to share the hunt with all of you.

I'm probably going to hunt the area again in '09, need to fill that Grizzly tag.
Anyone interested in joining me?

Len, you hit the nail on the head, Terry sure is a colorful character. Been friends with him for years.
His area is 65 miles by 55 miles, and one of the best around.
He's had my heart in my throat in the Supercub more times than I care to remember. Absolutely trust his flying ability.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Terry has a wonderful hunting concession. Lots of game and beautiful scenery.

This shot, from the plane, shows the flooded river bed we had to cross.

Here is my son (right) going off for the day while I stayed in camp nursing my knees

This was a neat little island I shot from the plane

Joel and Phil, you will have great memories. Thanks for jogging mine!
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Last edited by Len Backus; 09-18-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Unread 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
I am illegally hacked into a hotels wireless network from the parking lot here in Lincoln Nebraska. I see the bad luck with the bears continues to dog Phil but it looks like it was a lot of fun.

Congratulations to evrybody.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Called a combo hunt, we opted to hunt sheep, and we were in sheep country. A bear can be found anywhere and we found bear sign high up. A griz would have been a great bonus on this hunt. As was Joel's wolf. A moose was not very likely where and when we were hunting.
Lincoln Neb, will be spending the nite at the Motel Six there in a few weeks. God willing and the river don't rise. On the way to CO for an elk hunt. Its just about 1100 mi from my place, do that the first day out. Then slow down abit and enjoy the scenery.
Have a safe hunt.