Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Very good documentation Rhian! Too bad you couldn't have found the bullet but I think the banana bullet theory is likely correct. That is about the only way it would turn that angle as well.......Rich
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Nice bull Rhian, congrats. Good thing you didnt ruin any backstraps with that neck shot.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Nice bull Rhian, congrats. Good thing you didnt ruin any backstraps with that neck shot.
I'm not entirely sure about the CE bullet but I know this rifle and load go where I dial, this is the second shot on animals I've taken with this rig, the first was a coyote that would not come in to the caller so I whacked him at 786 yards.
You probably just jinxed me and I'll blow a hole through the back straps on my cow, at least I'll have you to blame

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Lol, i hope that goes through your head before you press the bang button, "Dont spine her, dont spine her, i will never hear the end of it"

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 10-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Lol, i hope that goes through your head before you press the bang button, "Dont spine her, dont spine her, i will never hear the end of it"
That's been going through my mind when I shoot for longer than you've been alive and I still do it every once in a while!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Rhian,

I seem to have something to say about every thing. That bullet performance is no exception.

Bit of history.

Many moons ago went hunting with some traditional muzzle loader fellas. Both had hand made "long rifles" Kentucky type. One was a 58 cal. Bruised the hell out of every one's shoulder that shot it. Even just once. Mine included.

He thumped a nice muley buck at a bit over 200 yes. Hit it in the neck. That big 58 cal round ball killed the buck deader than a door nail. DRT as we say.

It didn't break the neck. If fact, it didn't break any bone at all. It simply conformed to the curvature of the neck bone. Pure lead is pretty soft stuff. I think softness of the projectile is key but so is hardness.

Next experience is with those HAT bullets from awhile ago. They had very large Aluminum tips with is very long and large diameter shank that set deeply into the 252 grain 338 bullet.

Every one I did terminal testing on followed to some extent the alum tip as it bent instead of coming straight back into the core and opening the jacket. I also "think" the jackets were quite hard.

Thus the tip started to go a direction, the rest of the bullet followed it through the media resulting in a very non-straight wound channel and a banana bullet at it's final resting place.

I'm thinking your bullet followed suit. The petals begin to open and peel off after several inches of penetration. I think about 4" is what I observed in the gel videos I watched.

In your case there wasn't 4" of flesh, or enough flesh for the petals to begin to open. If being made to open make them "softer" than the rest of the bullet, that bullet simply ricocheted off of the vertebrae and took an easier path. Which in this case worked just fine.

I feel that if you would have hit a shoulder blade or rib perpendicular you would have seen a bullet function as design.

You may wish to consider a bit heavier bullet. Ever hear of a 375 SS?

I have been doing some very serious study and evaluation of which CE offering for the 375 AM. Trajectory wise, from 330 to 400 grains there is marginal differences. All have sufficient energy to 2900 yards to kill something. Thus, it seems, the ability to make POA and POI the same is the deciding factor.

You were able to put POI within an inch or so of POA and that was key. Anything that happened after that is just stuff to talk about.

You're doing an exceptional job.!!!

BTW, did that 700+ yard yote die?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the bull and nice shot Rhian!

Roy, interesting observation.

Rhian, how many inches of flesh to where the bullet struck the vertebra?

Wonder how annealing the CEB's would work?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams