Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Well I tacoed a 5 point bull last evening at 820 yards with one CE 140 to the neck, just got him in the freezer but I'll have to get to a computer to get the pics and details up. I did not get a bullet but there are some interesting details on bullet performance that I'll let the pixs show.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Well I tacoed a 5 point bull last evening at 820 yards with one CE 140 to the neck, just got him in the freezer but I'll have to get to a computer to get the pics and details up. I did not get a bullet but there are some interesting details on bullet performance that I'll let the pixs show.
Congrats on a good shot and some tasty meat! I can't wait to see the "lack of bullet evidence" I think you scared him and he fell off a cliff!......rich
By the way; don't you know you can't kill an elk with a little cartridge like that!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Kinda looks like about next spring Rhian will be sticking one of those things together for me.

That's my indication of interest.
We would love to have you on board Roy!!.......Rich
Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Impact velocity was 2160 fps with 1450 ft lbs of energy. The bullet turned and what I thought was a hole from a horn on the top of the neck was the exit, so it bored a hole that turned up 90 degrees through a vertebrae and did not break the neck.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Impact velocity was 2160 fps with 1450 ft lbs of energy. The bullet turned and what I thought was a hole from a horn on the top of the neck was the exit, so it bored a hole that turned up 90 degrees through a vertebrae and did not break the neck.
Wow! Does it appear that the bullet didn't expand? It sure sounds that way.
You must have hit close enough to the spinal cord that it paralyzed him.....Rich
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

See Rich! You cant kill elk with a 6.5 at long range! The bullet just bounces right off! JK, need to nail one with an annealed 160 Matrix!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Picture time! This was a great end to a very nice day, got him put away in the freezer and I documented all the weights and took a lot of processing pics! The bullet impact was within an inch of where my point of aim was, I normally don't neck shoot but I kinda wanted to drop him so he didn't drop of into a bad place and he was standing about 40 feet from two track so he was standing right where it was perfect to load him. Also wanted to get the 140 gr Cutting Edge bullet on a hard spot to see how it did with a hard hit in the bone. I'll try to smoke a cow behind the shoulder to see how it performs in a much softer hit with more hydraulic action.

First a real poor hero shot but I was getting dark fast so we were kind of in a hurry to get the insides out.

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.-picture-001.jpg

Second picture is a 6.5 SS round in his right hoof print and where his front feet were when we got to him, he travel vertical!!

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.-picture-004.jpg

Bullet exit angle indicated by chain saw file in the bullet hole coming up from the center of the spine which exited the top of his neck. Picture from the of side.

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.-picture-005.jpg

Dad spent quite a while taking this neck apart to find the bullet path, it only broke a couple small bones of when it hit his neck square on from the side, then it turn up through the center of the spine through the spinal cord and out the top with about a quarter size hole in the meat on exit the hole through the bone was about 3/8th of an inch and the hide had two 6.5 holes, with very little blood shot.
His neck was not broken, I can't say that the bullet opened or not, I found no bullet frag and I looked very hard and none through the spine, my opinion is it did not open and turned into a banana but it's a dead elk and no bullet recovered to give us the facts so you can make your guess as to what the bullet did!

You can see the bullet path indicated by yet more chain saw files.

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.-picture-009.jpg