Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rhian, I saw Nosler Brass in 7 SAUM adverised on Midway. "Back Order OK", expected in, in Jan 2014.

I've never used any Nosler brass and have read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's on the soft side. I've also heard that Norma makes ti for Nosler and I am very happy with my Norma Brass. Being a little soft would be good for the Sherman short case forming I would think, as long as it isn't too soft.
I use Nosler brass for my 7mm STW and it's great! I would put it up there with Lapua...But with the slight advantage going to Lapua. I use their .308 Win brass...Incredible stuff!

What you heard is correct...Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma, but headstamped Nosler. Which is why I have no issues using it.

Also, Hornady Match brass has been really good to me, too. People scoff @ Hornady because they sell less-expensive ammo, but the Match qulity brass and ammo has always shot great for me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Mud, I think if I e-mail Kevin one more time for Lapua SAUM brass I'll end up with a restraining order, I hope Lapua will crank out some 7 SAUM some day!!

The 6.5 Sherman with 270 Win Norma brass is excellent and easily formed, the 6.5 SS is more involved and I know Rich has looked into having brass made but it's a significant out lay, we'll see how it goes
Man, I sure wish they'd make a quick run of 6.5 SS brass...

Do yall know if RCBS can make dies for it? Or is it still a completely custom die thing?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I use Nosler brass for my 7mm STW and it's great! I would put it up there with Lapua...But with the slight advantage going to Lapua. I use their .308 Win brass...Incredible stuff!

What you heard is correct...Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma, but headstamped Nosler. Which is why I have no issues using it.

Also, Hornady Match brass has been really good to me, too. People scoff @ Hornady because they sell less-expensive ammo, but the Match qulity brass and ammo has always shot great for me.
I have read mixed reviews on Hornady brass over the years but recently they are mostly good. My 300 Dakota bras is made by Hornady and so far I am very impressed with it. It's not as good as Lapua,but it's good stuff.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Thinking on that. Copper Creek is offering Norma 6.5SAUM brass right now....

Just sayin'

t
I'm guessing that's ammo and not just brass?

Quote:
Ya, I've been following the 6.5 4S

I forgot to mention a very important thing that I'm really liking about the Cutting Edge bullets, the lack of copper fouling!! I've removed enough Barnes bullets from my barrels that the thought of loading a copper bullet almost makes me sick but the Cutting Edge bullets are a very nice bullet to load, I ran out 50 and had no copper in my barrel which makes me happy, happy, happy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
That's actually a very good point. I hadn't thought to bring it up. I can't recall any copper coming out of my WSM...

t
Interesting, The CEB's did foul in my Sendero 300 RUM. I don't think any more than any other bullet, but they did foul. But that Sendero was definitely a fouler. Should be interesting to see how the CEB's do in nitrided Broughton barrels.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have not used Nosler, Rem SAUM forms real easy but the primer pockets loosen though it's taken me 10 firings and they still hold a primer just not like new. Norma SAUM brass is very good in the primer pocket area and is softer than Rem but that makes forming just a little more difficult but I think we've got that ironed out. So far the Norma brass is looking very good, just changing to the Norma cut the groups so I'm waiting for a Sinclair expanding mandrel to help on the necks on the Norma.

I'm going to have to beat those GAP guys to the SAUM brass
I am planning on turning my Sako 300 WSM into a 6mm SAUM. That Nosler 7 SAUM brass is looking go to me for that.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Man, I sure wish they'd make a quick run of 6.5 SS brass...

Do yall know if RCBS can make dies for it? Or is it still a completely custom die thing?
RCBS does not make 6.5 SAUM as far as I know. I'm sure The GAP guys could point you in the right direction. Whidden probably has some reamers for that as well. Just want to make sure you match your dies to your chamber reamer.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Whidden has a reamer set for the 6.5 SS which means it's not a full on custom job each time he makes a die set, better price and better turn around!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"