Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

oops, forgot the attachment. . . . . again

Reminds me of a letter I got from my mother. In it she said,

"I would have sent some money but forgot to put it in the envelope before I sealed it."

Yep, that's my mom.......

And I always wanted to be like dad.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

That's some pretty gnarly destruction on the pumpkin!

Keep in mind fellas, the Raptor is a vastly different bullet than the MTH. Completely different design.

Rhian, I keep wondering if the bullet would have taken a different tune had it been spinning faster. I have a slight hunch that more rotational velocity would have kept it in a straighter path which may have allowed it to open rather than bananna....

My finest SWAG powers at work of course

t

Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Does being "softer" affect engraving by rifling and traveling down the bore. As in longer bore life?
I think softer causes stripping easier in cup/core bullets when the twist is tight or velocity is high but I don't how critical it is with monos?.... rich
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Outlaw6.0;871884]That's some pretty gnarly destruction on the pumpkin!

Keep in mind fellas, the Raptor is a vastly different bullet than the MTH. Completely different design.

Rhian, I keep wondering if the bullet would have taken a different tune had it been spinning faster. I have a slight hunch that more rotational velocity would have kept it in a straighter path which may have allowed it to open rather than bananna....

Hi outlaw! I think an 8 twist at 3188' should keep it on course if it were possible.......Rich
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

I'd love to see the performance of the 6.5 SS and 6.5 Sherman with the Berger 140 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post

t
I'm not convinced that rotational velocity really has that great of an effect, I know some do but if my math is right that bullet would not quite do one rotation while it was in the bulls neck.

I hope I made it clear that it is complete speculation what condition the bullet was in when it exited, I firmly believe that with no bullet we can not say with any certainty what happened. All I have is a bullet path, it could have blown the nose of and the shank turned but I just can't tell.

Bottom line no bullet, dead elk and a very fun precision shot at long range, everybody happy, happy, happy!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'd love to see the performance of the 6.5 SS and 6.5 Sherman with the Berger 140 VLD's.
There are threads on the 6.5 Sherman and 140 VLD's and there will be with the 6.5 SS but not in this one, I'm wanting to keep this dedicated to the Cutting Edge MTH 140!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"