Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

People dogging Long Range Hunters/Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: People dogging Long Range Hunters/Shooters

Hate to speak in a negative fashion, but those guys are morons. They have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Instead of just asking what long range hunting is all about, and trying to get an understanding of it, they simply dismiss it. Part of it is an insecurity thing. They don't want to believe there are hunters capable of making much longer shots than they are. You know how it goes, if you can't understand it or do it yourself, it must be a lie!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Yadda, yadda, yadda. It seems like the main yapper there has his own name pegged appropriately. There are some enlightened types there though that are obviously taking him to task for his BS apples & oranges comparison.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

People dogging Long Range Hunters/Shooters

You guys may want to check this out. I don't get involved in these flaming threads. But you guys may want to read anyway.
http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ult...c;f=2;t=002464

Jim
Old 09-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

I couldn't help myself, I had to post. These guys (one is apprpriately named {Nimrod}) have no reality outside of there own. I love for some of these gentlemen (used loosely) to go varmint hunting or just try something out west.

Jim
Old 09-19-2002, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Have you ever noticed how the people that are the most critical of something are usually the ones that have never tried it? Those that swear that long range hunting can't be done haven't tried it (accompinierd by someone who knows how!). And those that swear SMK are the scurge of the earth for wounding all of the poor little critters have never used one on those little critters. I guess this is where the old saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes from. Obviously some of those folk know how to shoot better than I would ever hope to. They just don't "believe" that you can hunt at the longer ranges.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

Sometimes life's a box of chocolates. Why'd I say that? So some guys shoot in places where the longest view is on a range, others where you can see across time zones. I never appreciated the value of BC's, high velocity and powerful scopes until I got lost in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming a few years ago. One thing I do know is that people adapt to their needs and opportunities. A 1500 yd shot on a p. dog may seem incredible to someone from (sorry, got to say this) New Jersey. I'd guess their first objection would be being able to see it. Well, they have never seen the clear western air. Neither have you and that's the point. You can sure as hell see their air. So anyway if you can't see it why would you have a rifle capable of it, and since none of your friends have one, and the longest matches are 1000 yards(maybe) it just strains credibility. A counterpoint perhaps is that the average Joe from the rockies may not have a good grasp on the particulars of still hunting swamps. May not believe just how close you can get to a deer if you do your homework.

I admire the skill and technology required to make shots with confidence at ranges of a mile or more. Likewise, the skill required to put powderburns on a deer or turkey. A tripple on a covey rise of quail with a pump gun? Sure! It is rather disheartening to see shooters squabble over these issues.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting comparing paperpunching to hunting.
My def. of an ethical shot at game.
1. legal game
2. hunter has practiced to the point of proficency.
3. hunter has selected a weapon capable of task at hand.
4. misses are verified by spotter or hiking to look for sign.

Any improperly prepaired person that just flings lead or arrow at game hoping to get lucky is no sportsman, irregardless of distance involved. I read many more posts on here concerning practice, testing and fine tuning weapons tha about hunting. WHY ? Because, that is what a true sportsman does.

As true with most of the guys here I fire, many more rounds in practice than in hunting.

Sad to see a fellow "sportsman" blast other sportsman about chosen legal techniques.

Russ