Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Parker Hale ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Parker Hale ?

Hey guys,

Between meetings last week, I stopped by a small gun shop and saw a Parker Hale Varmint rifle in .243 I liked the Weatherby-like stock and heavy barrel, but I've never heard anybody talk about owning or shooting Parker Hale rifles. According to the Blue Book, this rifle was discontinued in 1988.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Parker Hale ?

Parker Hales, were made in England I believe and were good reliable rifles.I have one in 300 Win. Mag. that I bought used with an old Weaver AccuTrac scope.The rifle is stock and has not had any bedding or trigger work done,Yet in still shoots FACTORY loads from 3/4" 7/8' at 100 yards and I have no trouble shooting clay pegeons at 300 yards.
A typical group...........
[image][/image]
Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

I have the same rifle (1200V) in 6mm Rem and I love it. I have had it for about 4 years, and have floated and bedded it, tuned the trigger and had a gunsmith shave the rear base to level them out on the action (check alignment on the bases!).

As a 1200 V (varmint) model, your .243 will likely have a 1 in 10" twist barrel (Mine has a 1-10" twist or thereabouts), so it should do well for a variety of bullet weights up to about 100 grain.

I have been shooting 70 gr SMK's and some days they go 1/2 MOA and less, others days 1 MOA...it has not been terribly consistent, but 1MOA has been easy. I suspect this may have more to do with the RL 19 powder I use than the rifle. Also, my bore is very rough from the factory, so cleaning the barrel to bare metal seems to open up groups. Mine likes at least 20 rounds down the tube before it starts to shoot well. I am currently working on some load development for this rifle, as I absolutely love shooting it. I am working towards a consistent 1/2 MOA load.

Either way, I love this rifle and I am looking forward to rebarreling it one day with a custom tube in 6 mm Rem. This action (designed around the 7mm Mauser) was tailor made for the 6 mm Rem (same case). You can seat the bullet way out there with no limitations with mag length. One thing is for sure, I will not even consider selling mine.

Hope that helps
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

DP,

Any chance you could post some pics of your rifle? I can't find anything showing a model number on the rifle, but judging from the blue book, I think it is the same model.

Take care,

Chris
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

The factory Parker Hale heavy barrel is the 1200V. It has a gold plated trigger, heavy barrel, open sights (mine have been removed) and the stock as shown (with palm swell). I love this rifle...
Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

DP,

Thanks for posting the pic. The rifle I have been looking at looks just like yours, except the bolt is polished. It almost looks chrome it's so bright. That is the only thing that has bothered me about it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the rifle.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

My bolt was polished as well. I added some cold blue to it and it now looks as in the photos. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is a very nice rifle.