Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Paint products for firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Paint products for firearms.

My rifle is finally done!

Rem. 700
6.5-284 Krieger MTU contour
McMillan A4 stock (Olive/Black/Tan marble)
Shilen trigger set to 2lb.

The barrel is stainless steel and the action is flat black. I would like to match things up but I'm not sure if I want to have both the action and barrel painted or just the barrel to match the action.

First, what would you recommend for a coating? I have been looking at Duracaot and Ceracoat so far. I would like to go the Duracoat route and do it myself if the stuff works well (stands up to heat, harsh chemicals, etc...)

If anyone has used either of these products or an alternative I would appreciate your feed back.

Since the action has already been bedded if I want to paint it would I only paint the part of the action that isn't bedded to make sure I'm not messing up the bedding job?

I'll try to post pics of the rifle when I can.

Scott
Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Paint products for firearms.

Hi Scott,

On my rig I used a product called LIC43, made by a company called Valspar, I think it is marketed under LIC brand, it'S made in the USA

The LIC43 is the "Matt" of the range.

It is a 2 Pak and is hard as hell, like really hard.
Impervious to every cleaning solution I own, it requires very little prep, and goes on really well.
If your barrel is a blast finish just a good degrease and spray it, smooth give it a good going over with 280 grit, degrease until clean cloths comes away clean, spray it

The trick with it to get a good Matt finish,is more air than paint on the spray gun. light coats too, if you get it right it will "matt off" almost immediatly, get it wrong and it will become a semi gloss look(put on too thick). it still looks ok,but once its on "its on there!"one even coat is enough.

Ive sprayed 3 guns with this stuff and its brilliant,my one is in "gun photos, Barnard 338LM"

Regards 300WSMMAD