Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Paint Primer cracking!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Paint Primer cracking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Snap hoss, I see sanding in your future!!!!
LOL! I see a stripper in my future!..... wait.... that came out wrong. I need to buy a stripping solvent and take the paint off that way.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Stripping solvent???

No, elbow grease and abrasive paper......
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
No, elbow grease and abrasive paper......
Elbows are getting lubed as we speak. I'm impatient and can't wait to get to the hardware store. Belt grinder did quick work. Now I'm in the process of body putty filling holes.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Don't forget - body putty may shrink a bit, depending what quality you bought.
Just a tip.

I know that on old Corvette bodies the DP 90 epoxy primer seals them very well and protects the new expensive paint jobs from having issues. If you know a body man I'd bet he would spray your stock at the same time he's spraying another car.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the help. I found out that the Krylon ultra flat camo paint will go right over the blue metallic w/o any issues. So I left the primer on the spots that didn't have problems, and used the Krylon for the spots that did. She aint pertty, but she'll be effective.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Doctor Vette... I love it.........

I just had a flashback to my 66 Stingray Convertible, 427/390, Milano Red, tan leather interior, cast aluminum wheels with knock off's and off roads. All the girls loved it and I loved all the girls......

I wrapped her around a utility pole many years ago. Oh well. Snot bodies don't mend well. My next ride will be a Cadillac CTS with the 550 and a 6 speed. Lugs your ass in style and goes like a scalded dog......

Far as body filler goes, I'd be using 3m glazing compound for minor imperfections.

I sort of liked the 'textured' look in the first picture. Better grip........
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
Do you think that if he stripped it and sanded it, and had a buddy who does automotive body work spray it with epoxy primer that it would prevent this with the next coat?

I know that DP 90 is popular as a primer and sealant, for example.
Depends on the type of solvent in the primer he uses and what material is left on the stock. If he strips it back to the gelcoat, then he could use most types of primers.

If he has a buddy who does auto body work, that buddy probably has access to a water based primer/sealer.......water won't penetrate the existing material and cause it to swell like many other types of solvent will.......that is why I suggested a water based primer/sealer.