Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Paint Primer cracking!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Paint Primer cracking!

This is the first time I've experienced this. I've painted this stock in the past with success. But when I sanded and hit with primer, the primer is cracking when it dries. Do I have contamination on the areas that it is cracking? It is a B&C Medalist A2. After the last sanding before I tried the first coat of primer, I blew it off with the air nozzle. Then I wiped it down with Witch hazel (didn't have denatured alcohol) to get the dust the nozzle didn't get. Did the witch hazel contaminate the stock?

Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 03-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Paint Primer cracking!

I use PPG wax and grease remover (automotive) but you can buy similar products at most auto parts stores.

I suspect your prep agent didn't help at all. Lacquer thinner or enamel reducer would work in a pinch, but the wax and grease remover works every time for me.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

The witch hazel must of had some type of oil in it. The cracking is definately caused by contaminates on the stock. I'm not sure witch hazel can even cut the oil from your fingers. The air you used could have had contaminates in it as well. It's happened to me before and your gonna have to clean everything off and start over.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

I spent about 10 years in the chemical coating industry, mostly dealing with automotive and chemical coatings....

The defect in the photo above is not from contamination.......contamination does not cause the type of "cracking" your photos show. What I am seeing in your photos is called "lifting" and is caused by the solvents in the fresh primer penetrating the previous coat of paint and causing it to swell.....or, the undercoat is absorbing the solvents and they are trying to come out after the primer is dry on the top.

Basically, your primer is incompatible with the previous paint........you either need to strip the stock, or sand it smooth and find a water based primer/sealer to seal the undercoat from the new topcoat and prevent the solvent of the new topcoat from penetrating into the substrate.

If it was mine and I wanted it done right, I'd strip the stock and start over.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgun View Post
I spent about 10 years in the chemical coating industry, mostly dealing with automotive and chemical coatings....

The defect in the photo above is not from contamination.......contamination does not cause the type of "cracking" your photos show. What I am seeing in your photos is called "lifting" and is caused by the solvents in the fresh primer penetrating the previous coat of paint and causing it to swell.....or, the undercoat is absorbing the solvents and they are trying to come out after the primer is dry on the top.

Basically, your primer is incompatible with the previous paint........you either need to strip the stock, or sand it smooth and find a water based primer/sealer to seal the undercoat from the new topcoat and prevent the solvent of the new topcoat from penetrating into the substrate.

If it was mine and I wanted it done right, I'd strip the stock and start over.
Do you think that if he stripped it and sanded it, and had a buddy who does automotive body work spray it with epoxy primer that it would prevent this with the next coat?

I know that DP 90 is popular as a primer and sealant, for example.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Snap hoss, I see sanding in your future!!!!