Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Paint?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Re: Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I did it to two different rifles. The first was a 22LR. I masked off the power numbers on the scope and the Turrets. I also masked off the parallax number on the Objective ring. Then I sprayed the whole rifle. I did mask off the bolt openings and put playdoh in the barrel. I masked off the safety as well. Sprayed with primer first and then started the camo process. On the other rifle I only sprayed the barrel and bottom metal.

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

Tank

Now, if I paint the barrel and action as well, will it help to prevent rust, or will it speed it up because i can not oil it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,047
Re: Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Now, if I paint the barrel and action as well, will it help to prevent rust, or will it speed it up because i can not oil it?
It shouldn't rust at all really. I used a primer coat first. Then using the exterior designed paint, should repel moisture. I haven't found any rust on my rifles yet. Just make sure you ruff the surface with a fine grit sandpaper to give the paint something to stick too. The smith that sand blasted my barrel told me to heat the barrel up with a torch so it is warm to the touch. He said that will help it stick better. I didn't heat it up that much for fear of messing with the strength of the metal. I also removed the action and barrel from the stock so that it was fully coated.

Tank
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Re: Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
It shouldn't rust at all really. I used a primer coat first. Then using the exterior designed paint, should repel moisture. I haven't found any rust on my rifles yet. Just make sure you ruff the surface with a fine grit sandpaper to give the paint something to stick too. The smith that sand blasted my barrel told me to heat the barrel up with a torch so it is warm to the touch. He said that will help it stick better. I didn't heat it up that much for fear of messing with the strength of the metal. I also removed the action and barrel from the stock so that it was fully coated.

Tank

Thanks for all the advice!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 104
Re: Paint?

Here's a link to a really good article from the archives....http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...nt-rifle-3.php Good luck with your project... Post pics when finished... we all love gun porn!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Re: Paint?

Well I have decided that I will order some Armacoat and will try and post some pics when everything falls into place.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,047
Re: Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Well I have decided that I will order some Armacoat and will try and post some pics when everything falls into place.

Cool, can't wait to see it.

Tank
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Paint?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Paint Can Bowhunter57 Humor 0 08-03-2011 10:17 AM
New paint job Mark Brendemuehl Gun Photos 7 06-01-2010 07:07 AM
my first paint job foreign The Basics, Starting Out 5 08-10-2009 07:26 PM
What do you paint your gun with ? JAWZ Gunsmithing 2 05-27-2008 08:43 AM
to paint or not to paint Shoot'n Hogs General Discussion 6 08-26-2004 07:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC