Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pack Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Pack Choice

I like to pack into places and live off my back for 4-5 days. I have an eberlestock pack now. Its ok but not as comfortable as i would like. looking for something better any ideas..?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Choice

I use this with the camo 'pack duffel' mentioned partway down the page. http://www.kifaru.net/FREIGHTR.HTM I typically will setup camp for 2-3 days at a time before moving on and don't need the constant weight hauling ability of the full on longhunter pack: http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTM. Once I unload camp, I've got a lightweight hauling system that carrys a rifle more comfortably that anything else I've tried. The rifle is also quicker to get into action the way Kifaru has this set up than using a shoulder sling and much more comfortable and less awkward than a shoulder sling plus it's hands free. If I kill something I can immediately pack out part of it w/o having to go get another pack, etc. The only thing I don't like about it is all the exposed plastic and nylon. There's a couple of fleece panels on Kifaru packs, but not enough IMHO. I've made a complete lightweight camo/hunter orange fleece pack cover that covers the entire pack which makes it very quiet.

The guy who owns Kifaru (Patrick Smith) used to own Mountain Smith, a well known mountaineering pack, etc. manufacturer. So his background is in technical mountaineering/outdoor gear which is where a great deal of the best gear comes from. When I looked at a number of packs made for hunting before purchasing the Kifaru freigter, I just had to laugh at some of the examples. After 20 years mountaineering experience and knowing how well top of the line mountaineering gear is made, I realized that a lot of hunting gear leaves a great deal to be desired. I've not been in the market for a hunting pack for several years, but Kifaru is about the only company I've seen so far that makes packs that combine hunting and a real technically advanced/innnovative packing system that really works well. All their packs are custom sized to your body dimensions as well. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch....
Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Mystery Ranch is supposedly great.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

I have an old REI Cima 80. It is an 8,000 cu inch pack. It can accommodate a rifle with some minor work because it has a open pouch on the center and straps above that. I was prepared to pack my rifle and gear into the Salmon River back country but found enough elk closer to the road that I did not need to. REI no longer makes the pack in this format so you will need to pick up a used one. I am 6"3" tall so that will give you an idea of what it fits.
review
Old 12-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Arcteryx makes some of the most comfortable packs I have ever tried. Could probably get a system on one of them that is similar to the eberlestocks too...
Old 12-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Mystery Ranch is supposedly great.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are....

The "it" packs with the "shooters" in the military, and hardcore backpack hunters, are Kifaru, and the Mystery Ranch NICE frame packs. They're worth every penny.......