Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Over travel on trigger is it a good thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Over travel on trigger is it a good thing?

Hey guys I am looking for advice or opinions on trigger set up. I am currently shooting my new custom long range 7mm Rem mag rifle with an X mark pro trigger set at 2.5 pounds with no creep or over travel it is very nice, it is crisp and breaks like glass. I am having a small problem with my groups at 100 yards during my load development. I am shooting 5 shot groups and for the most part this gun is a real shooter but once in a while I am getting a shot that opens my group up to the right horizontally. 4 shots will print at 3/8" to 1/4" group and 1 of the 5 shots will stretch my group to the right about 1". I think it is something I am doing because when I am looking at the target at 100yards with the scope and dry fire the gun once in a while the cross hair will jump to the right of the bulls eye and most of the time the cross hair does not move at all. Would adjusting in some over travel to the trigger cure this problem?

Last edited by Spothogg32; 10-24-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I made a wrong statement in the direction of my group
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Over travel on trigger is it a good thing?

Probably not. Sounds like your trigger is adjusted fine. The first four shots say so.
Are you using a front rest and rear sandbags? Sounds like your not "riding the bags" consistently. With that I mean your rifle isn't positioned on the rest & sand bag for the last shot like it was on the first four. Sometimes the sling stud can butt up against the front rest causing the rifle to recoil differently.
Are you letting your barrel cool in between shots? That 7Mag can generate some barrel heat. I have seen it recommended to shoot 3-shot groups when doing load development on magnums. I shoot 3-shot groups with mine. Is your barrel floated and/or the action bedded? This can cause inconsistencies.
I assume you have a M700 (X Mark Pro trigger). Does it have the J-lock? I have seen the firing pin sping on these all kinked up. I usually take mine (bolt) apart and clean it up and re-lube it with a light lube.
An intermittent problem can drive you nuts trying to figure out. I usually make one change at a time, try the rifle again, then move on to the next solution. This way I know what was causing the problem. Good luck and keep us posted. JohnnyK.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spothogg32 View Post
Hey guys I am looking for advice or opinions on trigger set up. I am currently shooting my new custom long range 7mm Rem mag rifle with an X mark pro trigger set at 2.5 pounds with no creep or over travel it is very nice, it is crisp and breaks like glass. I am having a smalll problem with my groups at 100 yards during my load development. I am shooting 5 shot groups and for the most part this gun is a real shooter but once in a while I am getting a shot that opens my group up to the left horizontally. 4 shots will print at 3/8" to 1/4" group and 1 of the 5 shots will stretch my group to the left about 1". I think it is something I am doing because when I am looking at the target at 100yards with the scope and dry fire the gun once in a while the cross hair will jump to the left of the bulls eye and most of the time the cross hair does not move at all. Would adjusting in some over travel to the trigger cure this problem?
It would sure be worth giving it a try.

I like mine one of two ways. Either zero OT and a super clean break or so much OT that there's no way my finger can hit the wall befor the round is clear.

A HS firing pin spring can help a lot as well by reducing the time between the FP being released and it's impacting the primer.

Last edited by WildRose; 10-24-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

If you are doing it dry firing I would pay particular attention to your grip. If it were me staring to string horz. to the right I know it from past experience that I go back to an old bad habit of too much thumb pressure which causes me to torque a rifle ever so slightly right at recoil time.

I have almost given up using the 100 yd targets - I do all my sighting in at 200 yds. I figure I'm not a bench rest shooter and at 200 yds it makes me really concentrate or things are just magnified.

There sure is nothing wrong though with adjusting your trigger to have over travel - try it and see what you get.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks guys this is all good information, keep it coming!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Check out this article by Darrel Holland, it directly addresses your question.
Dwell Time And Your Trigger

NRA Life Member
Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

If you are right handed, make sure that you aren't getting the trigger too much in the first joint of the trigger finger. Try to use the pad of your finger instead. Also try not wrapping your thumb around the wrist of the stock. Instead, just lay your thumb on top by the tang. Been there and went through all this myself. Not sure any of this will help you, but I'd try something with my technique before messing with the trigger.

Last edited by Jumpalot; 10-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.