Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Over annealing cartridge brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Over annealing cartridge brass

of course. I'm not talking danger zone where someone made it red hot or even white/light orange.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

To verify kirby's statements of annealing i took a box of twice fired winchester brass for my 308 and annealed them where the necks were clearly orange in my garage during the day time and then quenched the cases. I repeated this procedure twice.

I then washed and tumbled the cases and neck sized them with my typical sizing die.

Then i took a bullet and seated it to depth and tried to wiggle and pull it out by hand.
I could not.

I proceeded to pull the bullet with a KE hammer and try to re insert it by hand.
I could not.

After that i re seated the bullet without re sizing the neck and could not pull it out by hand.

Again i pulled the bullet and tried to re insert it by hand and could not.

My conclusion is that which mirrors kirby's statements and annealing case necks until they are faintly or even definitively orange does not necessarily mean the case will not provide sufficient neck tension. Not to say it can not happen, simply in my experience annealing the case until slightly orange is not a bad practice.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Just out of curiosity, if you anneal the whole case, completely. What will fail (assuming the cartridge is properly headspaced)?

I imagine the primer pockets will be useless real fast, but what part is going to fail other than that?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

I have never annealed the head of a case so i cant say for sure. But i would think the lower part of the body near the head would definitely rupture. That part of a case is far less supported than other parts of the case and depends on the thicker tough brass to hold together.

I have heard rumors of actions getting damaged or exploding, but i think a significantly over loaded case would be required to destroy an action.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Bronze Member

When is the best time to anneal brass in the reloading process? Do you Anneal the brass before any other steps, before pressing out the spent prime?

Do most people Anneal each time they re-load or after a couple of firings?

Is it recommended to anneal after tumbling or before tumbling?