Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Over annealing cartridge brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Over annealing cartridge brass

Thats what i was looking for. I can understand it throwing a load out of tune but i saw "ruined" and became confused.

My follow up condition

Now couldnt an individual tune a load to this brass condition and be able to maintain this consistency easier because they are at a fully annealed condition instead of trying to partially anneal equally each time? This, at first thought, seems a viable solution for the home reloader.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim See View Post
If you think you annealed the body of your brass throw it away, if you think you over annealed the necks you just might shoot the brass before you pass judgement.
How could you differentiate between the two without some sort of temperature control to confirm? Safety first!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

You can set your cases upright in a water pain and anneal the necks w/o overheating the rest of the brass. When you feel the neck is annealed you tip it over in the water for a quench. The technique I use is in a Hornady case holder and a drill. I have a timer and for most brass I hold in a torch flame for 7-8 seconds and that's all it takes. I don't quench and I've never had a problem. The necks just start to change color.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'm guessing the fellow in the above video is satisfied with his technique. I wouldn't aim the flame downward. I always aim outward from the angle of the shoulder towards the neck.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
How could you differentiate between the two without some sort of temperature control to confirm? Safety first!
The finger twirling technique. If you can hold it in your fingers its not too hot. If you cant drop it in water.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
The finger twirling technique. If you can hold it in your fingers its not too hot. If you cant drop it in water.
Dang, holding brass in your fingers while annealing! I haven't tried that technique yet and don't want to! How the heck can I gain good trigger control with burnt fingers?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Dang, holding brass in your fingers while annealing! I haven't tried that technique yet and don't want to! How the heck can I gain good trigger control with burnt fingers?
Lol its actually a pretty commonly used technique. I dont think you will ever hear a winning benchrest shooter recommend it, but to the best of my knowledge it was common among wildcatters, and backwood reloaders.

My trigger control is crap to begin with, i dont think i have a lot to lose.