Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Outdoorsmans tripod rear rifle support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Outdoorsmans tripod rear rifle support?

Anyone have it? I'm looking for some feedback on one before I buy. Looks like it may be a little bulky. And I am curious if it bangs against the tripod leg when it's folded up when glassing. I see I have to send them my tripod to install it, so it must not be readily removable. Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Outdoorsmans tripod rear rifle support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA View Post
Anyone have it? I'm looking for some feedback on one before I buy. Looks like it may be a little bulky. And I am curious if it bangs against the tripod leg when it's folded up when glassing. I see I have to send them my tripod to install it, so it must not be readily removable. Any input is appreciated.
Are you talking about this thing?

Outdoorsmans Long range Rear Rifle Support

I ccan't see myself dragging something like that into the field.

Are you looking for standing/kneeling support or for prone?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Yes that's it, minus the plate thingy on the pan head. I would use just a single yoke instead of that. The way I see it I'm already "dragging the tripod in the field" so with the addition of essentially one more leg to my tripod I could have a real portable shooting bench anywhere. It looks to be mostly suited to the sitting position.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA View Post
Yes that's it, minus the plate thingy on the pan head. I would use just a single yoke instead of that. The way I see it I'm already "dragging the tripod in the field" so with the addition of essentially one more leg to my tripod I could have a real portable shooting bench anywhere. It looks to be mostly suited to the sitting position.
If It were me I'd want a free standing monopod on the back end.

With the rear support being anchored to one of the legs of the tripod instead of directly to the ground it's building in some flex/instability on both ends.

There are a ton of different fully adjustable rifle monopods on the market already and so again if it were me that's the way I'd go vs this type of set up.