Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Out of the Box Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Out of the Box Accuracy

I enjoy reading about happy shooters, That is the goal of rifle manufacturers and smittys. I would like to see some long range targets. 100yd. vs. LR shooting is like comparing drag racing to nascar racing. The excitement is that there is more going on between 900-1100 yds. than there is from 0-900yds. my own opinion is to not even care what a rifle will shoot below 300yds. on a calm day. The 100yd. bench rest crowd has become so prevalent that they are the most commonly accepted standard for accuracy. There is a lot of short range common and good science and thoughts But most of it will be walked away from and the longer and further I shoot the more imperative it becomes that the box rifle goes to a gunsmith. It would be cool to see someone show up at a nascar event with a funny car but there luck will end at turn 1
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
I enjoy reading about happy shooters, That is the goal of rifle manufacturers and smittys. I would like to see some long range targets. 100yd. vs. LR shooting is like comparing drag racing to nascar racing. The excitement is that there is more going on between 900-1100 yds. than there is from 0-900yds. my own opinion is to not even care what a rifle will shoot below 300yds. on a calm day. The 100yd. bench rest crowd has become so prevalent that they are the most commonly accepted standard for accuracy. There is a lot of short range common and good science and thoughts But most of it will be walked away from and the longer and further I shoot the more imperative it becomes that the box rifle goes to a gunsmith. It would be cool to see someone show up at a nascar event with a funny car but there luck will end at turn 1
How about 605yds through the head of a groundhog on a stock Savage barrel, stock, and action in 300WSM with hand loads?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

You have the Idea. now bump it up a bit, like the 12 yr old kids shooting Dad built customs -- the kids in the 1800 yd squirel clubs. Some of the varmint magazines have more than few photos. 650 yds. is good but its still throwing rocks. just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
You have the Idea. now bump it up a bit, like the 12 yr old kids shooting Dad built customs -- the kids in the 1800 yd squirel clubs. Some of the varmint magazines have more than few photos. 650 yds. is good but its still throwing rocks. just my opinion.
Well we are still talking stock rifles, not custom rifle. Would be cool to shoot a gopher that far though!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I am still talking inexpensive builds based off of a good platform. good inexpensive platform. So here we have a good dollar sense start. People start with a better stock, upgrade the barrel, as time goes by there isn't much left of the origional boxer. People keep upgrading. Of people interested a lot will come to the wrong conclusion that gunsmithing gains cost an arm and a leg or wont help. Reasonable gunsmithing costs are not an issue. One fellow told me he couldn't afford it, I laughed and asked if his savings account had a chopper in it that automaticaly shredded his money whenever it got over a couple of inches high. When people in general (NO NAMES ATTACHED ) Just in general start saying that a boxed rifle brand outshoots good smithed ones ( happens on occassion ) That statement pretty well throws a challenge, because it simply is not true. People shooting squirrels at 650yds. is one of coolest things a guy can read But what happens to a person if they are missinformed and drop out because they feel that they have hit the top of the pinnacle and get bored just when they should be getting started. a box rifle is a cost conscious way to begin, absoluteley not a place to stop.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

I like factory rifles...I live in virginia where the maximum shot is 300 yards.. lol I love to read about long range shooting, and all these sub-moa groups at 600-1000 yards, and I would love to own a long range rig. But those factory guns are more than enough for deer and bear. I have never been a target shooter and will never be a target shooter. I kill to live and live to kill. I cant wait to buy my next factory rifle. Hopefully a browning.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

you cant gowrong with a browning. I've got a stainless stalker in 300win.mag with a boss and I've shot under an inch at 200. I'm with you on the hunting gun issue and to me that's as good as I need.