Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Out of the Box Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Re: Out of the Box Accuracy

Savage-Got two now 223 FVSS and 308 FP .Both out of box dime covers five shot group.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

This is perhaps the first time that I have spoken up for a product. Savage box rifles definately get my thumbs up. Very good semi customs can be built upon them as well. Many people use them as an intercontinental travel rifle in situations where the health and possesion of a custom is sketchy at best. shippers alone account for more rifle destruction than any force on earth. However when it comes to true custom rifles Savage is a guaranteed looser, there is no-way a smitty can get the price out of one to pay for the time investment. but they are truly the king of bang for the buck (dollars)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Ken i beg to differ with you on custom rifles. I hear ya when you say they are the king of out of the box rifles,but the fact is every year in compatition shoots those plain out of the box Savages beat(yes beat) hundreds of $5000.00 custom rifles. Savage (box Savages) have won so many first place compatition matches that i could not count them any more. More than any other brand rifle on the market including custom rifles.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

This takes some beating for out of the box accuracy.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

We love the Savage rifles for out of the box 1/4" groups in most of the varmint or long range rifles. 2 new Savage LRPV shot 1/4" and less with pet loads from our files, then we worked up loads for each rifle and get 1/8" in the 22-250 cal. My new F/Class 6.5-284 shot 3/8" out of box with cheap weaver 2 piece base and a Nikon dot scope with another persons loads. My new Stevens/Savage .308 shot 5/8" out of box, then dropped trigger pull to 2 lbs and got clover leaf hole with three shots. My Savage with douglas XXX barrels always shot in the 3's until this year with some new load data and can shoot one hole. Never had to do much with the factory savage. Also my Savage LP 22-250 was the worst ever at 3/4", moved pillers up slightly to touch receiver and now 1/8" to 1/4" all the time.

Not slamming other brands, but I never got that type of performance out of my Remingtons, Browning, Winchesters. Oh they all shot good, but never shot Savage good without tuning and lots of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
Savage (box Savages) have won so many first place compatition matches that i could not count them any more. More than any other brand rifle on the market including custom rifles.

Savage has definitely come a long way in their product and accuracy. I remember my dad selling the early Savages. But to say they have won more events than any other factory produced rifle is a bit of a stretch. Understand I am an avid Savage fan. I built a semi custom rifle off of a Savage action, but when wins come to mind, Remington has the lead right now. I can't even fathom the number of Remmy actions that have been tweeked and tricked out that has won competitions. Savage new line is definitely the new winning kid on the block, but Remington has paid their dues.

By the way, Savage out of the box is the way to go. Shot a .233" 5 shot group at 100yds with a hand load prone. Factory rifle, no tweaking at the time. Mod 12 VLP is the model I own. Shot many .5" groups with factory fodder.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

I don't have much experience with the other rifles, but I recently purchsased a Savage 10CFPLE with a HS Precison Stock and I am amazed at the accuracy. Here are a few pics of my first range session . This is the second group fired at 100 yards with Federal 165gr Game Kings. This is my first post so I hope the pics show up. I can't wait to see what it will do with reloads. Again this is from my first range session.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Out of the Box Accuracy-savage-1st-group1.jpg   Out of the Box Accuracy-savage-1stgroup-2.jpg