Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Out of the Box Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Out of the Box Accuracy

I understand, I'm a sometimes working man in todays economy, Money is tight. Several times I have seen $3,000 mentioned. A gunsmith can turn your old friend into a nice shooter for about a third that amount, often less than the price of a new box rifle. If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!
I have to agree. It has taken a long three years to get my rifle to the point I want it. It started life as a factory Savage. After a lot of Q&A, and research I built my own semi-custom. It uses the factory action, but nothing else is factory at all. Just pulled together a .75" 5shot group at 300yds with it today. Best group prone at that distance I have ever shot. Also figured out that my aftermarket barrel does not like to run hot. Had one flier out of 6 shots. Could of been me, could have been the load... not sure. But what I do know is that I let it cool and the last two shot dropped into the same group. So back to the original comment, working on old faithful goes a long way if you want to save money.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
I understand, I'm a sometimes working man in todays economy, Money is tight. Several times I have seen $3,000 mentioned. A gunsmith can turn your old friend into a nice shooter for about a third that amount, often less than the price of a new box rifle. If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!
Im with ya Ken. I'm a "no times" working guy and I HAVE the $$....but Im not giving it to some dude that will "guarantee" me accuracy enough to put all 5 in one hole at some ungodly distance. It aint THAT important to me.

Im in the planning stages of a " improved box, semi-custom " rig. .243 caliber; Rem 700 VSL as my base. I'll use the stock ( which I like) action; barrel. Whatever dont work to my satisfaction gets swapped out. I even like the trigger on the existing 22-250 VLS I have..so th4 new one might stay also???

Im mainly planning on having it "hit the target" at ( to me at least) extreme distances of 600-700 yards...consistently. With handloading and bore polishing...etc..etc...yadda yadda....we will see what she will do come time..???
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I have to agree. It has taken a long three years to get my rifle to the point I want it. It started life as a factory Savage. After a lot of Q&A, and research I built my own semi-custom. It uses the factory action, but nothing else is factory at all. Just pulled together a .75" 5shot group at 300yds with it today. Best group prone at that distance I have ever shot. Also figured out that my aftermarket barrel does not like to run hot. Had one flier out of 6 shots. Could of been me, could have been the load... not sure. But what I do know is that I let it cool and the last two shot dropped into the same group. So back to the original comment, working on old faithful goes a long way if you want to save money.

Tank
Sounds like you've got her figured out! It may not apply as it is a factory sporter barrel, but my '06 doesn't like to be shot hot either. Groups open up considerably, but my buddy's .308 VSF (or whatever the designation is for varmint contour) shoots well hot or cold.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Attachment 643 Attachment 644

Absolutely amazing! Yup, true story!!!
Regarding the Savage target rifles....

Yes. BUT... You can't convince me that every single one that comes out of the factory is ready for competition. I am sure they go over them with a fine toothed comb just as I have done with my 12F.

If you buy one and complain that it only shoots .4, .6, .8, 1.0, 1.2 MOA, they aren't necessarily going to do anything about it.

Great rifles nonetheless.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Regarding the Savage target rifles....

Yes. BUT... You can't convince me that every single one that comes out of the factory is ready for competition. I am sure they go over them with a fine toothed comb just as I have done with my 12F.

If you buy one and complain that it only shoots .4, .6, .8, 1.0, 1.2 MOA, they aren't necessarily going to do anything about it.

Great rifles nonetheless.
Your right. They do go over the rifles. I remember reading an article pertaining to this team. They do use factory tubes, but if the barrel does not meet their expectations, they will swap the barrel out for another factory tube.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Hope i don't come across wrong here. I have a stock Savage Model 12 FVSS. I shoot quarter size groups or smaller at 300 yards all day with it. Just got a Savage Model 10 FP in a 308. I can shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with it already and have only started working on a load for it.