Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Optics??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Optics??

Ok, so you all gave me some good info on my search for a new bullet. Now how about a Scope? I am looking for something around 6-20x50, could vary as needed. I have a 7mm RUM with a brake. I have had scoipe issues in the past (Burris, Leupold).

I have heard that some scopes are not made for rifles with brakes. They are built for recoil and when you stop the recoil they bounce or vibrate the wrong way. IDK the guy may have been full of it, but that is why I am here, to get your opinions!!!

I would like to stay under 1,000.00 but would be willing to go up if needed. I have read about nightforce, and of course zeiss and swarovski.

Also shooting ranges will vary so I would like to see and be accurate with different powers at long ranges, like 200yrds (that was a joke). Say 200-1000yds?

THANKS!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Optics??

I never heard about a scope having muzzle brake issues it is usually the other way around. Heavy recoil is most of the issues in inferior scopes. Now I have a lot of Leupold scopes and like them a lot I really like the Greybullprecision.com Leupold scopes. Light weight and Leupold lifetime warranty and in50 years huntuing have only had one that had to be sent back. My two cents worth.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Vortex PST would get my vote. Vortex has great customer service, if anything should go wrong.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

I have an IOR scope and a Nightforce a long with some Leupold's. The glass in my IOR scope is probably the best glass between the three. is my IOR built as rugged or as heavy as my Nightforce NO... not at all but will it handle recoil yes or at least mine does. My suggestion is make a small list of what is most features. let say just 4 or 5 items. and this them as they are a priority for what you are going to do with this rifle. pick the one that has the most yes checks after you have read many reviews of that scope.

example
1) glass quality
2) repeatable
3) shock resistant
4) factory warranties
5) customer service.

just my 2 cents everyone will have a slightly different opinion but what really matters is what do you like. just remember their is no such thing as cheap quality glass.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Not all scopes are created equal and yes a brake can have an adverse effect.
My 7mag has more felt recoil then my .338 Edge (w/ Holland QD brake). However the .338 has destroyed almost everything I've mounted on it. It even shattered the objective lens on a not so cheap Leupold the first time out with it. So far the only thing that has held up is a 16X Super Sniper. I have a new FFP Leupold on it now that I've mounted on a M107 for about 100 rounds so we shall see.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Muzzle brakes can screw up scopes because they make the rifle recoil backwards. Which is to say, that a rifle without a brake recoils rearward. Whereas when you install a brake, it has some forward recoil. Cheap scopes are built to handle rearward recoil. Which is why they sometimes fail on rifles with brakes.

Great scopes for <$1k...Sightron SIII. They can be had for ~$900 and have glass as good if not better than Leupold, their turrest are crisp, reliable and repeatable and you can get mil-dot or moa reticles in them.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Good info! I am not sure if this is the time but I dont know what you all are saying when you say "Mil-dot" "mils" or "MOA".

I know it is wrong and not the way I want to shoot in the furure, but I was taught...."He is ____ away! Hold _____ over his shoulder and pull the trigger!"

THANKS AGAIN ALL!