Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions on Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM

Opinions on Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this 7mm remington mag rifle. This is the rifle that Gunwerks bases it's cheaper long range hunter on. I wonder if it's capable of 600 yard one shot kills with affordable ammo, or if much of the performance is based on getting the ammo that costs an arm and a leg. Obviously the scope makes a difference but I'd like to get opinions about what this rifle is capable of.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

The rifles vary from good to surprisingly good. Long range ammo really needs to be handloaded to get the accuracy and consistency needed. Sounds like you've a lot of homework to do. Good luck.

The rifle and caliber are definetly capable of 600 and a lot more.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
The rifles vary from good to surprisingly good. Long range ammo really needs to be handloaded to get the accuracy and consistency needed. Sounds like you've a lot of homework to do. Good luck.

The rifle and caliber are definetly capable of 600 and a lot more.
+1

The Sendero is built for longer range stuff, and is generally very accurate out of the box. 600 yards is attainable with some premium factory ammo, especially if you found one the rifle really liked. But hand loads would of course be best.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

welcome

rwilen,
Welcome to the most addicting drug there is. (long ranging). I will definately give my support for the sendero being a very good long range gun, given you put a little work into it. As far as buying ammo; that is not conducive to this game. If you want to shoot out to long range (adjusting for hold over/wind/etc.) then you have to reload. Please put in the homework before trying long range shots on living animals. We really don't need to give the anti's another club to beat us with.
The 7mm mag is a great round and very capable of the long range kills. However in recent years it has really started to fall off the top of the hill when it comes to downrange punch. I would also consider the RUM's , unless you wish to go wildcatting and then the choices are almost endless.
Happy shooting and welcome to the sport.
Stifle
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

I have that exact rifle and it is easily capable well past 600 yards. Mine has been skim bedded and I added a Tubb speed lock kt and set trigger. While I have not taken game past 600 with it yet, I can hit an 8" steel consistently at 800 yards. Like others have said, I think handloading will be the big key for you to maximize the rifle.

Good Luck and enjoy!

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on the 7mag good to and past 600. The limiting factor will be you. You really need to start loading your own, if nothing more then for cost efficiency. I went to the gun/hunting store the other day and HOLY CRAP!!! Things are getting out of hand when some of the major ammo makers want $45 for a box of 30-06ammo. A few years ago the same 162grSST ammo I load in my 7mm were $35 a box. Now they are about $10 more. I can reload that same box for around $10(give or take).
Great gun, great round-get the equip to load your own it'll pay for itself in no time, then you'll not only have a gun that shoots good but you'll save yourself some money.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Opinions on Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II

I have 3 7mm mags reloading is the best answer. proper bullet choice is criticle it has to deliver the punch. my choice is the berger 168 vld in front of retumbo powder.as far as capability ive taken elk AT A RANGED 1.024YDS AND AS CLOSE AS 125 YDS WITH THE 7MM .good shooting