Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions Please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions Please?

WR that's the exact opposite of what I've seen time after time. The 5x5 muley I shot last year at 100yrds was quartering away pretty hard and moving out, the bullet never touched bone till it exited, he dropped midstride and the small white tail doe I shot 2 weeks later at 400yrds dropped so fast my daughter was wondering where it went. That bullet touched one rib going in, and coming from my 270 with a MV of about 2750 it sure isn't setting any records for retained velocity.

Not trying to be argumentative about it mind you just find it funny (odd) that folks can have such consistently different results from the same product, now on the other hand I've not been overly impressed so far with the terminal ballistics of the AB. It works just as advertised but, critters tend to walk around a bit after taking one. BTW I try to avoid heavy bone, but I'm about filling the freezer 1st, so when the opportunity presents I'll take a neck/head shot every time.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Opinions Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
WR that's the exact opposite of what I've seen time after time. The 5x5 muley I shot last year at 100yrds was quartering away pretty hard and moving out, the bullet never touched bone till it exited, he dropped midstride and the small white tail doe I shot 2 weeks later at 400yrds dropped so fast my daughter was wondering where it went. That bullet touched one rib going in, and coming from my 270 with a MV of about 2750 it sure isn't setting any records for retained velocity.

Not trying to be argumentative about it mind you just find it funny (odd) that folks can have such consistently different results from the same product, now on the other hand I've not been overly impressed so far with the terminal ballistics of the AB. It works just as advertised but, critters tend to walk around a bit after taking one. BTW I try to avoid heavy bone, but I'm about filling the freezer 1st, so when the opportunity presents I'll take a neck/head shot every time.
I recovered a 140gr Accubond from the 10 Point white tail I shot last year shot out of my 270wsm. Its a perfect mushroom, It looks pretty awesome. I haven't weighed it yet but my guess is it didn't loose much if any. Overall I like shooting bonded bullets better especially when they have a high BC like the Accubond. I haven't shot any game in the head yet with my 7mag but I have a few under my belt with my 270wsm 325Yards has been my furthest headshot and of course DRT