Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions on "Ferret" 50 bmg rifles???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Opinions on "Ferret" 50 bmg rifles???

Hello all, this is my first post on this board but I have been a lurker for a good while and would like to ask a quick question....I have been shopping for a 50bmg for about a year but I can't make up my mind on what I want to get, I am very interested in the "Ferret" rifles as they seem to be a well made gun that fits my needs. i just want good accurate rifle for plinking at about 1200 meters and I just love the BOOM that a big 50 makes. I have some experience with a Barret but I would rather have a 36 inch match grade barrel like the "Ferret" has.

Any info would be great!!!

Capt Levi

PS, what kind of barrel life is expected out of such a gun??? I have heard all kinds of numbers but would like some real world ##s
Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Ferret 50 cal upper to go onto my AR15 lower. Unfortunately in Canada, being on anAR15 lower makes the rig a restricted rifle, so can only be used at approved ranges. I have built another lower that has solved this problem.
Back to the question, the recoil is very light, the accuracy is pretty good. At 1000 I can easily keep 3/4 moa groups, sometimes 1/2 moa.
For all out accuracy there are better options I believe, but as a fun gun, the Ferret is a great choice.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Thank you for the reply and info, what other options would you suggest?? I would like to stay under 5k on the price and I prefer a long barrel on my guns, single shot or repeater.

Thanks...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captlevi View Post
Thank you for the reply and info, what other options would you suggest?? I would like to stay under 5k on the price and I prefer a long barrel on my guns, single shot or repeater.

Thanks...
If you are in the U.S. your options are plenty. in Canada the options are very limited. Due to our government making certain makes and model prohibited, and then the U.S. government deciding that they will not allow the export of anything 50 to Canada, the number of options here are basically the Steyr HS50, which is a fair gun, PGW, if you have a 500 year life span you may get 1, a Gallin which are really nice, but costly. A Barnard which has yet to be proven, an RPA which is very spendy, or 1 of the small manufacturers custom built 50s like mine.
If in the U.S. it is quite possible to get into the 50 game for the money you speak of, here however 5K will not buy even the gun.
I have shot many of the makes. The McMillan is decent and accurate, State Arms builds a really decent rifle for well under the $$ you have to spend and Larry Lyle the owner is a great guy to deal with, and there are plenty more I am sure that would fit your bill, assuming you live in the U.S.
I gave up paying alot of attention to what is currently available in the U.S. shortly after Mr. Bush closed access to us here, mostly for the "fat ,broke kid in a candy shop" syndrome.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Dave, the owner of Spider Arms, is one hell of a man and avid supporter of shooting sports and firearms rights. His rifles are top notch and do very well in FCSA 1000yd matches.

I'd highly recommend becoming a member of the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (Dave is actually on the board of directors) to get access to the members forum if nothing else. It's the best $40 related to 50 shooting I ever spent.

FCSA - Dedicated to Sporting Uses of the .50 BMG - Fifty Caliber Shooters Association

Have you called them yet? Dave is a no BS kind of guy and will give you a honest advice on what will best fit your wants and needs.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info, does anyone know the approx barrel life on one if it is cleaned properly and I don't get it to hot??
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Anybody have a link to either one of these rifle makers web sites?
I have always wanted a 50 but their price is a bit to high , its hard to justify dropping a few thousand dollars all at once