Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions on building a long range hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions on building a long range hunting rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley75 View Post
Thank you for all the feed back. I live in Utah at 7000 ft above sea level and elk hunt a 8-10000 ft. so I need to do some more research on the best caliber. I am not apposed to the 300 WSM. Just most of the guys around here have recommended the 300 RUM. I agree that practice with the rifle is the most critical component. Fortunately where I live, it is very easy to practice long range shots there is no one for miles.

I just put your elevation in. I went with the middle of the road at 9000ft. The current load I showed you will get you to 1170yrds. So I would say that is a pretty even trade off efficiency for power.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your help, as I get close I will look for more help. Once again thanks for all the information from everyone.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muley75 View Post
Thank you for all the feed back. I live in Utah at 7000 ft above sea level and elk hunt a 8-10000 ft. so I need to do some more research on the best caliber. I am not apposed to the 300 WSM. Just most of the guys around here have recommended the 300 RUM. I agree that practice with the rifle is the most critical component. Fortunately where I live, it is very easy to practice long range shots there is no one for miles.
I have a 300 WSM and a 300 RUM. The RUM is my go to hunting rifle because it has a little longer range and ATM, it's more accurate. If you dont mind the shorter barrel life and recoil, by all means go with the RUM.

With my two rifles, there is only 200 fps differnce between them which equates to about 125 yds of effective range difference. The RUM eats up 97.5 gr of Retumbo vs 67.5 gr of RL 17 for the WSM. The RUM kicks way more than the WSM. I was at the range today with both of them and I fired the RUM for the first time without a slip-on recoil pad (because I forgot it) I was wearing an insulated Carhart Coat which helped. The kick didn't feel all that bad - about the same as with the slip-on. But it definitely kicked. Then I shot the 300 WSM, which is about 2 lbs lighter. It felt like a 243 compared to the RUM.

My 300 WSM is shooting 180 E-Tips @ about 3200 fps (24 3/8" bbl) and the RUM about 3400 fps (26" bbl). At 8000' elevation The WSM gets to 1050 yds with 1820 fps V, 1325 KE and 47 lb ft M. The RUM gets to 1175 yds with 1820 fps.... 125 yds farther.

The WSM uses 30% less powder, has about 2/3rds the felt recoil, and the barrel will last about 3x-4x longer than the RUM. Some guys use a brake on the RUM. I'm OK without it. The WSM doesn't need a brake. A good barrel for the WSM would be 25" in #5 or #6 contour. A good barrel for the RUM would be 27", Sendero contour (#8). That's about 2 lbs diff.

Sooo... is a RUM worth it????
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM

Wow, that is the exact information I have been looking for. Someone who has both rifles. Based of that information I think the 300 WSM would work just fine. What are my chance of buying a gun off shelf that has the ability to shoot 800 yards? I know a lot of it depends on me, but I don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to get results that are not possible.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

If you want an off the rack shooter in 300 WSM, I say get the Sub MOA Vanguard in SS. They have a great pillar bedded stock and action and guaranteed to shoot less than 1" @ 100 yds and come with a factrory shot target. Others will tell you to get a Savage. I have read a lot of good things about them but I think the Vanguard action (Howa) is better.

With some good load work, you should be able to reach 800 accurately.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 12-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Go to your local gun store and buy a Savage. (Here it comes from the Weatherby and Remmy guys!) Sorry, the only work that needs to be done to a Savage is: Put a 20 MOA base, Rings, and a scope. Go break in the barrel in about 50 rnds and your good to go.

Here are some to temp the palate.

Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile

Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FHSS

Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FCSS

Savage Arms Hunter Series Model 11FCNS

Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FCSAK

Remington Model 700™ SPS™

Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Stainless Specifications
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If you want an off the rack shooter in 300 WSM, I say get the Sub MOA Vanguard in SS. They have a great stcok and action and guaranteed to shoot less than 1" @ 100 yds and come with a factrory shot target. Others will tell you to get a Savage. I have read a lot of good things about them but I think the Vanguard action (Howa) is better.

With some good load work, you should be able to reach 800 accurately.
Howa is definitely a good action. I have used one for years that shot lights out in a 25-06. I really enjoyed that rifle, but it required a trigger job from a gunsmith. So if you are privy to a trigger job I agree MR. He and I are like minded more than he will admit. LOL! Seriously, he makes a good suggestion. I own two Savages and they both shoot. My Savage 22LR shoots bug holes at 50yrds. My Mod 12 shoots .75MOA or less. A good load always keeps me hovering the .5MOA mark if I do my part. No smithing needed.

Tank