Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions on building a long range hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Opinions on building a long range hunting rifle.

If you like the laminate stocks you should check our sharpshootersupply. Also I would go with the SSS trigger over what you have picked. Do you want a repeater or a single shot? 300 wsm sounds like a good plan, if you go with a shilen barrel get ahold of jerry the barrel man. He will save you a good $200 on your barrel over buying direct from shilen.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I get a little confused. On this site and many other everyone recommends the Savage. If I go into a store or a custom gun shop they are all leading me back towards the Remington. My two main hunting rifles are Remington 700's 270 Mountain Rifle and a 22-250 ADL. I truly know very little about the technical side of things when it comes to guns. I mostly look at ballistic and go from there. I am all about hunting, I don't need a gun that is a perfect tac driver. If I can get a gun to consistently hit a milk jug at 600-800 yards I would be very happy. I don't need to impress any one with the looks or the make. It is only a tool to me. I just want the best practical rifle and caliber out there to make ethical and lethal kills. I worry that if I drop below a 700RUM it will not get the knock down power if I happen to make a poor shot.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

There is really no such thing as knock down power. If you take out the CNS (which can be done with any cal), it will fall in it's tracks. Massive cavitation in the vitals will drop an animal quickly also. If you take out one of the legs, it doesn't matter what you hit it with, it will be headed for the next county. A larger bullet in the gut might help a little, but the name of the game is placement.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM

I agree with you totally. I guess I am concerned with hitting a bull elk on the tip of the shoulder and not being able to break him down. A gut shot is a poor shot even at close range the animal has a good chance of running off and making recovery difficult.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

I think one of the main reasons for the 300WSM is that you can get many more rounds down the tube and that will go farther to preventing a poor hit in the first place.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

I just crunched some numbers. Using JBM, if I were to shoot an elk where I live right now at about 1000ft. above sea level the 300WSM would be adequate for an elk.

Here is the numbers:

My rifle: Savage Mod 12: 1:10 twist, 26" w/ muzzle break, Heavy Barrel
Muzzle Velocity 2950, 65.5grns RL17, 208grn Hornady A-Max

yrds drop MOA wind MOA Velocity Energy ft lbs
900 -374.7 -19.9 95.0 5.0 1763.9 1436.8

Is it ideal? If that is all you have then I would take the shot and be confident in its ability to take the animal down.

Now if you are hunting in a higher elevation as normal elk hunting would dictate, there will be plenty and then some to get your elk to the freezer. For instance if you go up to 2000ft you are now at 1800fps (prefered by most for suitable bullet performance) and 1497 ft. lbs. So the cartridge is going to be a good one IMHO.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-04-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Thank you for all the feed back. I live in Utah at 7000 ft above sea level and elk hunt a 8-10000 ft. so I need to do some more research on the best caliber. I am not apposed to the 300 WSM. Just most of the guys around here have recommended the 300 RUM. I agree that practice with the rifle is the most critical component. Fortunately where I live, it is very easy to practice long range shots there is no one for miles.