Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinions on .300 Rem SA Ultra Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Opinions on .300 Rem SA Ultra Mag?

TrpD345,
I say again, if you do not reload,and you have given no statement eithor way, find another choice. If you do reload this cartridge is easy to load for and is inherently accurate. All short mags seem to be inherently accurate.

That said, I do not dispute what weaverism said. my experiances with Remington are somewhat slanted since my local remington dealer has been a remington rep. in one form or other since he was a teenager. Remington does guarantee 1 moa with the LTR guns, in fact I have read .75 moa. I agree that weaverism got a raw deal, but Remington is a very large co. and if you get the bad apple and do not know how to go around this person it leaves a bad taste and a very unhappy FORMER customer. ( Is anyone from big green reading this. ) Every LTR I have been around all shot well for being a factory gun, and I have seen several. I will remind you that a lot of smiths on this board are very good at taking a short mag gun and making something that will shoot so good it is scary. If you end up not happy with the gun, the stock is a common choice for a custom gun, so a barrel is all you will have to buy, plus the smiths charges. Heck, I'm not sure you can't put it in your safe and sell it for a profit in a couple of years.I better quit, I'm starting to sound like a salesman.

Good luck in your quest
Joe
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

HOW HEAVY ARE THE BULLETS YOU USE? HAVE YOU TRIED THE 200 GRAINERS?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Bronze Member

I do not reload at present, but will be starting shortly. I would like to shoot something in the 165 gr. range for normal hunting. Most of my shooting is within 200 yds. I just want something to reach out to 500 yds. on occasion for deer and the occasional varmit.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

TRPD,
I have a 300 SAUM in 700 Titanium and realy like it for just what you have described. I do reload and agree that with reloading you can really get great acuracy out of this round. I get Sub-MOA (around 3/4 to 7/8) with my 700 TI and keep in mind the out of the box 700 TI is not what I would consider an accuracy rifle. Every LTR I have shot or seen shot shoots great for a factory rifle.

This is just my personal results and thoughts.

Good Luck,
Oneshot
Old 08-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

My son uses one in the model 7 Stainless Magnum..with a Leupold 3 x 9 on it....the trigger was very, very heavy from the factory..we turned it down to around 2 1/2 pounds. I can't imagine why anyone would not want one of these rifles..lightweight, super accrurate, easy to handle..I'd have to say they are the perfect big game rifle..if they made one in LH..I'dda owned one yesterday for myself. He has killed lots of deer witht the 150 grain Barnes X-bullet XLC..no problems, all one shot kills, complete pass throughs from all angles...We did buy a few hundred pieces of brass, I don't think it'll be around long...big green did their usual in missing the boat and like everything else in life...timing is everything !! It's a shame this fine cartridge is doomed..when they dropped it from the 700 line-up, we all know what that means !!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> is now a .300 WSM with a Shilen barrel. Anything alive at least a big as a housecat within 800 yards is usually dead on the first shot. Buy a Remington long magnum action and screw on a quality barrel. Throw it in a Mcmillan A-5 stock and watch them drop. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahmen!
The SA is as brilliant a marketing success as it is a complete fraud. You can only realized the benefits of a short fat cartridge after you do the other stuff right (starting with a good pipe).

Beta was far superior to VHS, Mac/moto CPU and OS far superior to WinTel. Now Sony makes VHS machines, MS has been the biggest MAC vendor for a decade and Mac is now migrating to Intel.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Gold Member

Does anyone know the going rate to convert a .300Saum to a .300wsm? I've always wanted a Rem 700Ti to have it rebarreled to .257wsm. I think that would be an excellent light deer and coyote rifle.