Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Opinion on McMillan Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 03:42 PM

Opinion on McMillan Stocks

I have a a McMillan M40A1 (HTG)type Stock which I purchased as the starting point for a long range rifle I am planning.

The next step was quotes for rebarrelling a Remington action. I phoned up one well respected Gunsmith in the UK and gave him my spec. His exact words were 'throw the McMillan stock in the bin'. Now maybe this guy knows something that the US marines and lord knows how many millions of civilian shooters don't, but I would appreciate any views from the forum.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:11 PM

Re: Opinion on McMillan Stocks

Hello,
I am myself based in the UK as well, I am using Mac Millan stock and I am very Happy with it.
Could it be possible to have the name of your respectable gunsmith?
Good shooting.
ND
PS: tell us a bit more about your project...
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but I believe you hit it on the head when you mentioned the saticefaction of the U.S. Marines and many shooters, including a good percentage of the guys on this site. There are a lot of HTG users here, easily one of the most common stocks employed when long range rifles are discussed.

Maybe he hoped to check your bin so as to get his hands on a good stock for nothin' [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck building your new rifle.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I would be happy to give my opinion [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have the same stock and I dont believe any other stock can fullfil as many roles as the M40A1 type stock. It may not be the ultimate BR stock or the ultimate anything particular, but it fills the role of many uses nicly. As far as I am concerned, McMillan makes the only stock worth a
?!*# [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stick to the McMillan. (Opinion only)
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

UK Varminter,
I would find another smith. I wouldn't use anyone who was so disrespectful to a customers choice of materials. Especially one who questions the reputation and quality of a McMillan. Even if he doesn't agree with you he should be more tactful or at least provide suggestions. I would be very upset if I spent umpteen hundreds of dollars (or pounds) and had the smith tell me "its junk get rid of it." Sounds like he might be trying to sell you a stock himself. Who knows.
In case you can't tell I'm torqued off for ya! Customer service and respect regardless of the customers knowlege, or lack of, is very high on my list. Try someone else.
Dave in Idaho
Old 10-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

I own three McMillans, one of which is an HTG.

Couldn't be happier with all three.

Methinks the 'smith made a poor call here. Far too much real world McMillan loyalty to give his comment any credibility.

I don't think you want to have your project attended to by someone whom has such an obvious dislike for one of the primary components.

Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:04 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Your smith must have been into the bottle pretty hard that day... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If I could I would have a McMillan on all my rifles!..

If you don't want that stock I'll take it!!!!

on second thought.. you should throw that thing away .. just make sure you throw it my way!!!