Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

One VS Many

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: One VS Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
This isn't ment to be a 1 gun VS many guns for everything but for long range purposes only. I have lots of tools for many different jobs, but when it comes to your long range hunter weather it's Hogs, Deer, Elk, etc. do you prefer to have 1 setup or a couple to choice from??? My one friend has 1 gun and says he only has 1 problem now. I have another friend who has 6-7 long range guns. Just wondering what most think?
It's hard to have one "do it all gun" when it comes to rifles.

A heavy rig for long range or extremely long range makes sense. For backpack hunting or hunting in tough, steep terrain it doesn't especially when you join the over forty crowd.

If my budget was so limited I could only afford one, then I'd get either a 7mm STW or 300wm and go with something like a light varmint contour so I could have sufficient gas to get the job done to 1,000yds and still have a rifle I could stand to pack around when the going gets tough.

I got along most of my life as a "one deer rifle kinda guy" but I now have half a dozen rigs that are a bit more specialized now.

There's no wrong answer on this one, just what fits each of us best.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Another +1 to fmajor, our long range rigs are a 338 Lapua for elk way out there, a 284 win for deer/antelope way out there, and a 6.5x284 for deer and everything smaller way out there. I plan on rebarreling the 6.5x284 to something more barrel friendly or get the next barrel nitrated because i like to shoot sage rat towns with it.

243, 22-250 or 223 with a proper twist?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
243, 22-250 or 223 with a proper twist?
I was thinking 6mm BR or 6.5x47 Lapua, maybe another 6.5x284 but have the barrel melonited.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Another +1 to fmajor, our long range rigs are a 338 Lapua for elk way out there, a 284 win for deer/antelope way out there, and a 6.5x284 for deer and everything smaller way out there. I plan on rebarreling the 6.5x284 to something more barrel friendly or get the next barrel nitrated because i like to shoot sage rat towns with it.
To replace the 6.5x284 I'd do one of two things.

Stick with the same caliber and go with a premium stainless barrel, break it in and have it melonited; or in the alternative do the exact same thing and chamber it in .260 Rem.

It's just hard to beat the 6.5's for deer/antelope and smaller stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was thinking 6mm BR or 6.5x47 Lapua, maybe another 6.5x284 but have the barrel melonited.
Shoulda red this before I responded LOL... .
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
To replace the 6.5x284 I'd do one of two things.

Stick with the same caliber and go with a premium stainless barrel, break it in and have it melonited; or in the alternative do the exact same thing and chamber it in .260 Rem.

It's just hard to beat the 6.5's for deer/antelope and smaller stuff.
I agree, i dont like the really short neck of the 260 so i will probably go with the melonited 6.5x284. Plus, it has enough power to take advantage of the 160 grain matrix's high BC.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree, i dont like the really short neck of the 260 so i will probably go with the melonited 6.5x284. Plus, it has enough power to take advantage of the 160 grain matrix's high BC.
I struggled for a long time before making my decision on the 6.5's. I got two, one in .260 (AR platform) and one .264wm.

I can have as much fun as I want shooting the hell out of the .260 and save the .264 for hunting.