Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

One VS Many

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

One VS Many

This isn't ment to be a 1 gun VS many guns for everything but for long range purposes only. I have lots of tools for many different jobs, but when it comes to your long range hunter weather it's Hogs, Deer, Elk, etc. do you prefer to have 1 setup or a couple to choice from??? My one friend has 1 gun and says he only has 1 problem now. I have another friend who has 6-7 long range guns. Just wondering what most think?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: One VS Many

Each person definately will have their own opinions and preferences. I have several rifles used for LR shooting and hunting but I traditionally will use the one of the many for hunting big game, the most capable one which provides the best combination of energy and wind drift potential depending on the range and size of the big game. So I suppose I prefer the one of many.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

The one I use for hunting is 338rum, combination of power, bullet weight, etc. and heavy enough for long range but still tolerable for packing. My other 2 long range rifles are too heavy to pack comfortable on pack in hunts. Guess it is a matter of selecting a particular rifle for the job.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a "there's a gun for every purpose" kinda guy, so I have many. I have some specifically for hunting deer, that I take to the range for load development for hunting loads, but as for my long-range guns, they are dual-purpose shooters/long-range hunters.

If you're looking for a good all-around long-range caliber for shooting and hunting, the 7mmSTW is one of the best options, with handloads using the Berger VLD 180gr bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

For me its an economic question. Getting a best quality set up, with best quality components, still have money for tags, and $4 a gallon fuel, means my answer is one. I do have other rifles, but my 338 RUM is the only one I consider a LRH rifle.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I really like to have one or two at a time, find the best combination of bullet and load to maximize it's potential at it's full range and shoot a barrel or two of it then I'll move to something else that trips my trigger.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

I have a few long range guns, long range being 800+ yds. But only two that are dedicated as hunters/shooters. The reason I have two is because for me living in the midwest I travel from 1000 to 2000+ miles for a hunt so I like to take a gun for back up because you never know what might happen, after traveling that far I don't want to end up with something unexpected happening and being left with nothing to shoot.