Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ONE GUN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: ONE GUN

S1 you bring up a very good point about magazine capacity, hadn't thought about that.

Tim another good point about survival quick to point and shoot.

Thinking about these extra point makes me wish for a gun along the lines of a Gibbs QuestII but, would have it rechambered so say a 358 win or 350 rem mag if it was possible.

Flick wasn't doubting that you have a 2 y.o. its that I haven't seen too many of them shoot a rifle [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. Better to buy it now before the laws change.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 PM

HEY TEXAS-SORRY FOR THE POST THAT MISINTERPED YOUR MEANING. I KNOW THIS IS OFF TOPIC BUT IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH MY FATHER HAS TERMINAL CANCER VERY SHORT TIME TO GO. I GET EDGY. SORRY ,FOR AWHILE I WILL JUST READ AND NOT POST I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.PS- MY DAD FOUGHT WITH THE MARINES AT OKINAWA,SIAPAN,AND MANY OTHER CAMPAIGNS. SHOT 13 TIMES,WAS WITH THE FIRST TROOPS IN NAGASKI AFTER THE BIG BOMB.LATER
Old 04-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

To use the criteria that Tim put forth, 'ie. if I screwed up' kind of a survivalist type of deal. I would go with the .308 winchester or the 7.62x39 ie the old soviet bloc round. I would chamber it in an AK frame or for the .308 an HK frame. Never have to worry about ammo availability or parts for the rifle and they hardly ever stop running. Might not be a long range weapon, but it is one I would stake my life on.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:45 AM

We all stake our way of life on the Eugene Stoner design. It works in arctic, desert, and jungle terrain: If it does not, we are all in a lot of trouble. Just want mine in a 300 WSM! "Urban warfare" you say, 125 Nosler and Benchmark, NO FLASH! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member

I think my Sendero in 300 Win Mag would work for me.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

223 Rem. Can carry twice as many rounds (use less powder) as those mag rounds and with a well placed shot there would be deer meat on the table!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Flick, I'm very sorry [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] to hear about your father. My bud at work just lost his mother Tuesday from cancer after he went to New York last week to see her. So yes I feel for you. Knowing first hand how that feels I lost my grandmother in a house fire shortly after I got out of the military as a firefighter, so I can feel for you and your family.

I know that shot placement is the key and guess that if you put enough bullets into a grizzly he should go down or go mad [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
So I guess the conccenus is that from a survilalist point of view a 223, realist 308 and life or limb 300 to 416?

How about it DC,Len,Chris,and Ian any thought from you all on this. Sorry Boyd didn't mean to leave you out either.